How I went from egg hobby to obsession

Lots of cuteness going on in your last post :love I think your duck is awesome and congrats on the expansion of chooks and land! That is very awesome!! Did you weigh that egg??!!!! :eek: it is a monster and I feel sorry for your hen. Sure you will find a match for your rooster somewhere in the mix. Your baby is the show stopper. Absolutely adorable. Must be fun watching the little faces with all of the animals. Well done and thanks for the fix.

Lots of cuteness going on in your last post :love I think your duck is awesome and congrats on the expansion of chooks and land! That is very awesome!! Did you weigh that egg??!!!! :eek: it is a monster and I feel sorry for your hen. Sure you will find a match for your rooster somewhere in the mix. Your baby is the show stopper. Absolutely adorable. Must be fun watching the little faces with all of the animals. Well done and thanks for the fix.
Her name is Bonnie Grace and she knows she’s cute 🤣 almost 2-1/2. She loves chickens as much as I do. Thank you!
The egg was a double-yolker, idk how to post video here but I made it in my hubby’s egg and bacon sandwich the next morning and he was a happy fella. Also have 13 babies in the brooder with nine guinea keets and nine seramas ready to hatch on the 9th. The serama chicks are already sold and the keets probably will be too.
Looking forward to having a market stand with veggies and eggs and some plants in a couple of months!
DF7F0AB5-65EB-426B-BE4D-CDFF09C0ABBA.jpeg
65298293-A1D6-4908-BD63-D73E70F1CBC6.jpeg
5D1A5D9F-A13F-4E91-A658-1E70707C3B02.jpeg
3572CAF1-C027-4C54-A79E-559A3E74D5F2.jpeg
D195AC48-F7EB-474C-A123-95C4A4CA6526.jpeg

I woke up in a great mood today. I got three new girls yesterday and decided to take some pictures and show you guys around my farm! View attachment 2545849
I started my flock with six Buff Orpington chicks about three years ago. Added some guinea keets for good measure. And then chicken math... you just keep adding. Initially started adopting birds from people who were moving, wasn’t interested in any particular breed, just loved spending time with them and the fresh eggs they provided my family.
Then you start hatching... and going to farm auctions... before you know it, you know A LOT about chickens. And the more you know, the more you have.View attachment 2545853
Dark Brahmas are hard to find near me, so I decided I wanted some of these monster chickens 🤨. I was gifted a gorgeous rooster named Fernando, who at nine months is roughly the same size as my 2-year old daughter.View attachment 2545854
View attachment 2545855
And yesterday, I found him some companions. One dark one buff. Carmen and Rubia 😍 View attachment 2545857
Cannot wait to hatch their babies!
On the other end of the spectrum, I have a mini flock of miniatures: Mr. Bojangles and the girls, Seramas.
View attachment 2545861
View attachment 2545866(The non-serama mutt in the photo above is Lucky. Only female of five eggs hatched from my mother-in-law’s flock. All four of her brothers were eaten by a fox in one night. She’s not big enough to be in with the main flock, so she keeps the little ones company. Also, she is just very pretty.)

Does that seem like a lot? No? Okay well there’s lots more 😁
View attachment 2545869I have had a good flock of black Bantam Cochins that I have hatched and sold and hatched and sold and hatched and sold. They are sweet and fluffy. Currently down to my last two, waiting for the right buyer to come along.

There is also Carl, my random white Silkie roo. He is an oddball for sure, hangs out with the layer flock and occasionally tries to sit on a nest. He has never had relations with any of my hens. I even put him in with some silkie girls and he just wasn’t interested. Love him.
View attachment 2545871
A few of you may have seen my La Fleche flock I lucked out on getting a few weeks ago. They are doing great! Getting tons of eggs and will be incubating soon 🤩
View attachment 2545882
I also have a flock of about thirty guineas in lots of different colors. I love how loud they are, I love how the hens get during laying season, and I love how they just generally have no sense. LOL.
View attachment 2545887
View attachment 2545888
View attachment 2545889
View attachment 2545892
It is time to rake and mulch all the pens, and I just thought it would be great to share all of these pretty babies with you. Maybe even motivate me to get it all done. 🤪
It’s almost hatching season and I am just so excited to have gotten to where I am now. It’s not glamorous, and I don’t make a ton of money, but man am I addicted!

I hope y’all enjoyed and I hope everyone has a great weekend! Show me a pic of your favorite babies! ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
You have some really beautiful birds!!
I guess compared to you my chicken math is happening much slower... I started in March of 2019 with eight and am now up to 20.. and I’ve rehomed a total of 7 and just lost one to water belly...

I would love to have as many as you! Plus the yard space 😂

I only have 3... house chickens! Minnie and Daisy are my d'Uccles and Elsa is my splash bantam cochin 🥰 love them.View attachment 2581247
Your Minnie and Daisy look just like my Minnie and Daisy... but mine are Leghorns 😄.... they are six and half weeks old.
B77CB6C7-0B53-4EF2-AEFE-E8FA30C29C53.jpeg
992ADE69-7D38-449A-ABF2-699A58D3BBAB.jpeg

View attachment 2635210We adopted 21 new birds this week, not sure where the total is now. One is a Muscovy duck, which must be the dumbest duck because she is silent and there are zero cute quacking noises for my efforts in keeping her kiddie pool full. Got some new roosters, including a barred rock so we have some building to do to keep the chicks and hatching eggs sorted.
Also, we are in the process of buying two adjacent acres so trying to figure out where we are going with that?? Bees and goats most likely.
Sowed 14 rows in the garden today. And my sunflowers by the road. Last year the deer ate all my flowers but hoping the dogs will scare them off this time.
Trying to add a roo to my main flock (30 hens is too much for SBS), but not sure it’s going well. Keeping them free-range fighting for now.
Fingers crossed for good luck!
View attachment 2635221View attachment 2635222View attachment 2635223
Your pics are so great! And your daughter is absolutely adorable!!

Minnie and Daisy must be on the top 10 chicken names. True confessions... I had a daisy too.
Oh my gosh, my chicken math can get so bad I almost panic and snap out of it because I can not buy the 2 acres next door or start a veggie stand... I have to fess up to my husband and he often has the expression of @MissTracy 's DH in her last post. Pwahhh! Well, I guess that is only if he notices right? After rehoming a bazillion fricken roosters I think I have temporarily learned my lesson... cept my hen is sitting on 10 eggs and I will ah hem, be keeping a few...

Her name is Bonnie Grace and she knows she’s cute 🤣 almost 2-1/2. She loves chickens as much as I do. Thank you!
The egg was a double-yolker, idk how to post video here but I made it in my hubby’s egg and bacon sandwich the next morning and he was a happy fella. Also have 13 babies in the brooder with nine guinea keets and nine seramas ready to hatch on the 9th. The serama chicks are already sold and the keets probably will be too.
Looking forward to having a market stand with veggies and eggs and some plants in a couple of months!View attachment 2635413View attachment 2635421View attachment 2635422View attachment 2635423View attachment 2635425
To post a video... put it on YouTube then paste it here...

Back
Top Bottom