How is my coop ventilation for winter

Apologies, but what do you mean by carboard baffles?
Also, do the roots need to be lower then the side vets so drafts don effect them while roosting at night?
I would remove the very top roost and possibly the second highest roost. Or at least lower the second roost.
Cardboard baffles are just pieces of cardboard you would cut out, fold over the ends and staple them inside the coop up high near the vents to divert any blowing wind that's coming inside the coop towards the roof so it doesn't blow down on the birds.

In that area of the yard, I am actually not 100% sure.... Thinking about it, we seem to get more wind blowing north and south most of the time... Know I will have to keep on eye on that...
You could remove the plywood on the side to make a bigger area with hardware cloth. I used washers and screws to install the hardware cloth. You could then put a trim up if you would like to.
Keep the plywood though in case it gets too drafty.

I would remove the very top roost and possibly the second highest roost. Or at least lower the second roost.
Cardboard baffles are just pieces of cardboard you would cut out, fold over the ends and staple them inside the coop up high near the vents to divert any blowing wind that's coming inside the coop towards the roof so it doesn't blow down on the birds.
Ok, I see what you mean..

I will get some hardware cloth to fix the side vets and will rearrange the roots. I always wondered about their height.... Thank you all for the advice
I will also work on removing the 2x4 in the soffits. That might be tricky, so I might end up adding holes...
Keep us posted with pictures!!
It is always fun to see how things turn out after remodeling.

One more item: The waterer. I put it in the coop so when the snow does start, it keeps the snow from piling up around it and hopefully preventing issues. It is a heated one. Should I still remove it from the coop?
Yes. At least at night to prevent excess moisture.
Where will the chickens go when it snows?

Thank you.
I tried to create that area under the coop to be dry, giving them outside area that is still dry. I plan on letting them free range at their pleasure. Should I find a way to make more dry space near the coop?
I would. They like to be outside. Even in the dead of winter.

Back
Top Bottom