How is your flock today?

It is not an easy thing to come by a fantastic roo. I went through about... 10 b4 I got to my Spider. Not letting him go for nothin', he is fabulous.
Your Rooster is very beautiful and I do have to agree with you on trying to find a good one. We just had Chewy (RIP) for dinner the other night. LOL

I currently have been researching all the different docile duel purpose breeds that are weather tolerant for our area. I have decided to go with the Black Australops and will order them this spring from a reputable hatchery to help assure I receive a true breed.

I was also thinking of ordering 20 straight run chicks and that way I would have my pick of the best Rooster of the batch to keep back for breeding. I had hoped Chewy would have calmed down a bit after enough time, but he never did and I was tired of him coming at me every morning with is hackles raised and spurs in the air.

I did try to rehome Chewy on CL, but once people knew he was on the aggressive side, that was the deal breaker. I hated to have to cull him, but he couldn't be trusted when you turned your back to him.

Kung Pao, Chewys replacement is turning out to be a very docile young rooster so far. The only issue with him is, he has crooked toes on one foot and I don't dare use him for breeding because of it. :( I did not know this about Kung Pao until after we got him home.

Attachments

• Kung Pao.jpg
    Kung Pao.jpg
    867.7 KB · Views: 1
Kung Pao is adorable ♡ If he is an outstanding boy, it will be nice to have him help set the pace and standard for your future flock dynamics. 😉😉😉

I have never had an aggressive roo (touch wood). After hearing stories and seeing scars from bad roos I am 100% positive that coming at me with hackles and spurs would be the very last move a bad roo would make in this world.
I do have almost every young one try to mate my foot or hand but that is just part of the growing up process.

Ah thats a shame, he certainly is handsome!
Yes I was a little sad also but he was a rescue and needed a good home because the people could not keep him for when he started to crow. They had bought all pullets and he was the surprise. LOL

The people who we got Kung Pao from had him in a coop with others and pick him up and handed him over to me, so I didn't get much time to check him over before going into our pet carrier. It's all good though, he has a good forever home. :)

Hello everyone, How is your flock doing today? I have seen this question asked many times and after a quick forum search don't see this question as a thread topic, unless I am not looking in the right place? :confused:
If a 12 week old pullet gets too cold can it have a hard time walking? Yesterday I was celebrating my first egg and this morning found Miss April not doing so well. Scooped her up she's in her brooder with water, feed, electrolytes and a heat source. That's how we roll.

Back
Top Bottom