How is your flock today?

Pics
@TropicalBabies Nice big roo that you have there. It's great that you found someone that you can swap roo's with to help keep more diversity in your flock's bloodline genes.
Well... kinda but not really... Jack is not from my stock. 8+ months ago I picked up a straight run of the Brahma rainbow to start breeding but ended up with 3 L. Brahma cockerels. I sold 2 of them a few months back but was contemplating on keeping Jack for his 100% LB but 4 roos is too much. 3 will be hard enough to pull off, so keeping the Dark, Buff and my main guy who is 3/4 Light are my priorities. I can not part with my main guy plus he is not related to anybody, I sold the father and all of the siblings and then mother died a few months ago... :( It has taken me a few boys to get to THE ONE who's blood I liked, who treated the ladies perfect and of course my Spider is VERY good to me. :love I lub him very much!

I sold the nice man the 3 cockerels because he had no chickens, 1 acre in a super awesome spot and that is what he wanted. But then he said he was looking for egg layers so I was going to hatch some for him, figuring he and the 3 cockerel's will have sorted out their garbage by then and I always buy back what is not wanted. But then I found him hens... so that changed everything. Then he ended up with hen/3 cockerel drama he does not know what to do with as he is pretty new to the whole chicken thing. As we all know... if you don't have the right combo all can go south and then it is no fun at all and I did not want that to be his experience. This roo is based on a wait and lets see but my money is on him. He will make those ladies purr and the nice man will be happy, so chickens will be happy on their beautiful acre in Gods country.
I will be the only sad one... because I will be hot and not on 1 acre... with a fabulous view lol.
20210306_135311.jpg
20210306_135313.jpg

This is up the street from him and where he is nestled is just as awesome. Just a stunning area and a kind willing man.

he hasn't (yet)
ive already clipped feathers. They go through the gate. Cant really stop it from being left open.
Well, I am sure a neighbor will appreciate some effort as oppose to none. Like, can't keep the gate shut seems like a non-excuse to me. If you care about your flock and neighbor, you will do what it takes- like put a sign and clip on your gate and a firm mention to the kids and eliminate the easiest hole. Then raise your fence. I had a similar problem when my girls were young and especially with the smaller more flighty breeds. My chicken run shares the fence with my neighbors 50yo junk pile. Also, the perimeter fence is welded WW ll landing mats so adding onto that is like good luck and as always my DH is walking behind me with a calculator monitoring and complaining about my expenses... especially chicken.
I purchased 2X4's, ripped them into 2X2's, zipped tied them to the sunken posts, ran a 1X2 across the top to plumb and stabilize my 2X2's. grabbed the cheapest roll of 4' wire available and tied/stapled it to the 2X2's and 1X2. It fixed 98% of my chicken hoping problem.
20201122_174849.jpg

Well, I am sure a neighbor will appreciate some effort as oppose to none. Like, can't keep the gate shut seems like a non-excuse to me. If you care about your flock and neighbor, you will do what it takes- like put a sign and clip on your gate and a firm mention to the kids and eliminate the easiest hole. Then raise your fence. I had a similar problem when my girls were young and especially with the smaller more flighty breeds. My chicken run shares the fence with my neighbors 50yo junk pile. Also, the perimeter fence is welded WW ll landing mats so adding onto that is like good luck and as always my DH is walking behind me with a calculator monitoring and complaining about my expenses... especially chicken.
I purchased 2X4's, ripped them into 2X2's, zipped tied them to the sunken posts, ran a 1X2 across the top to plumb and stabilize my 2X2's. grabbed the cheapest roll of 4' wire available and tied/stapled it to the 2X2's and 1X2. It fixed 98% of my chicken hoping problem.
View attachment 2670852
Now that's a tall fence. You'd think it would be overdoing it until you've seen how much trouble they can cause.:gigThanks for the advice. :)

Now that's a tall fence. You'd think it would be overdoing it until you've seen how much trouble they can cause.:gigThanks for the advice. :)
Sure saved me a lot of time and worry and trouble. One day I hope to sneak a few pieces of used roofing iron on the other side of the landing mat- mouse/rat/feral chick throughway. It really is gross... but i'm not the boss of my neighbors. Next project right... :th
Oh, and the wild/feral chickens can clear that fence no problem which is unfortunate for me. :barnie:barnie:barnie!!!!

Sure saved me a lot of time and worry and trouble. One day I hope to sneak a few pieces of used roofing iron on the other side of the landing mat- mouse/rat/feral chick throughway. It really is gross... but i'm not the boss of my neighbors. Next project right... :th
Oh, and the wild/feral chickens can clear that fence no problem which is unfortunate for me. :barnie:barnie:barnie!!!!

If they can clear the fence, then they can eat your chicken feed, and breed your hen's.

If they can clear the fence, then they can eat your chicken feed, and breed your hen's.
Exactly!!!
My roo(s) are good at keeping wild roo's at bay for the most part but many of these feral's come from fighting stock and it is not a fair match for my boys.
I used to shoot them but hated the bad chicken karma. Now I trap and remove to the pasture unless it is an emergency, then I pop them and remove their carcasses. :oops:

Back
Top Bottom