How is your flock today?

Pics
For a few day's, I would think. Look at the people that have to doctor up the sick or attacked chicken's in the house for a few day's, and then put them back in with the flock. It's like the flock doesn't remember who they are. I don't know if it work's with duck's too or not. I guess that you could ask over in the duck's thread.
I find this interesting and that is why I asked...... separated out of view? We have had to pen up a duck to address a leg issue but never took her out of sight of the flock. So I really didn't see any changes after they were all together again.

I am still new and learning behaviors of both and very thankful not to have some of the issues other members post with their flocks either mixed or not. From my own personal experience with a mixed flock, unless a person has unlimited room for both to roam, IMO, separate coops would eliminate the little squabbles between to two.

I find this interesting and that is why I asked...... separated out of view? We have had to pen up a duck to address a leg issue but never took her out of sight of the flock. So I really didn't see any changes after they were all together again.

I am still new and learning behaviors of both and very thankful not to have some of the issues other members post with their flocks either mixed or not. From my own personal experience with a mixed flock, unless a person has unlimited room for both to roam, IMO, separate coops would eliminate the little squabbles between to two.

I think that the whole idea with the separation of a bully is to keep the bully out of sight of the other's for those few day's, so that when the bully is returned they are a stranger to the other's because they have forgotten each other.

That is great, how old and what breed is your little Roo?
I have three Black Australorp pullets and one Buff Orpington cockerel. All are 10 months old. My third girl is looking closer to laying again too. She's not a slacker; she was the last layer in the fall.

I hope finding eggs in the nesting box never gets old. It really makes me smile.

I got some rain over here too finally. It had been hot and dry all summer without the monsoon showing up. Most of the rain seems to have dumped more water on the north Phoenix area though.

I love the rain and green over brown dead dried up vegetation, but rain every other day and mud holes that never seems to dry up before the next rain is a bit to much for a guy like myself who likes to be outside all the time. :barnie

When I lived in Phoenix I found the weather to be very different from what I was used to up North. One person told me that all the concrete infrastructure holding all the summer heat 24-7 and rising straight up, would influence small rain storms to stay on the outer edges of the city and or go around instead of crossing over the city. I guessed that was a plausible explanation.

I remember getting up at 4:30am to get ready to go to work and it was still over 100F outside, it would never cool off at night because of all the concrete retaining the daytime heat. I am guessing you don't have that problem where you live?

I think that the whole idea with the separation of a bully is to keep the bully out of sight of the other's for those few day's, so that when the bully is returned they are a stranger to the other's because they have forgotten each other.
I agree with you on the whole separation (time out) thing to defuse the aggression, but do you really think they forget who the bully was and now the bully is low in the pecking order of the whole flock?

This is all new to me so this is why I have to ask, thank goodness we have not had any issues with bloody birds. Having raised hogs and knowing they will eat anything, one thing a person never wants to do is give them any type of raw bloody meat. Once they get the taste for it no other small farm animals are safe around them. I guess chickens can be cannibalistic and best to keep any blood away from them as well.

165AB780-3A35-40AE-A10A-B5EE7364CF13.jpeg
26C1E67F-FCA7-46CB-B390-81C52170302D.jpeg
A1FCB90F-A454-4516-918D-13A820FBFF99.jpeg

Jumping for Kale is their new favorite game! These three spend all their time over here, and luckily I don’t mind!

I have three Black Australorp pullets and one Buff Orpington cockerel. All are 10 months old. My third girl is looking closer to laying again too. She's not a slacker; she was the last layer in the fall.

I hope finding eggs in the nesting box never gets old. It really makes me smile.
O ok, I was kind of wondering how long before our little Roo takes a romantic interest in our hens over trying to stay out of their way.

I agree finding fresh eggs never gets old, Awesome little bonus from these little feathered creatures! LOL

That is so awesome, Thank you for sharing, :) Yes how ours love kale also. I have thought about growing our own kale, because everyone loves it so much, is it easy to grow? I see you have it covered to keep from freezing I am guessing?
Yep it’s pretty easy. I have it covered to keep it from freezing, but the girls discovered that spot where it still pokes through! You should do more research in growing winter plants if your interested! Kale is a favorite in the flock.

Yep it’s pretty easy. I have it covered to keep it from freezing, but the girls discovered that spot where it still pokes through! You should do more research in growing winter plants if your interested! Kale is a favorite in the flock.
I enjoy gardening very much and have always been interested in a large greenhouse for the winter months. :)

Back
Top Bottom