How is your flock today?

The tumbler helps by mixing and aerating the contents.
Oh ok I guess this makes sense, more of an expedited process.

I'd rather do the Berkeley hot rot method anyway. I get the best compost ever doing that. I don't mind turning the pile with a pitchfork
I have never heard of the Berkeley hot rot method before, :confused: We just always cleaned out the barn and feed lot in the spring and the manure that didn't go onto the manure spreader was always piled off to the side for use later.

I don't ever remember going back into those piles with the loader tractor and mixing them to help the composting process either. I guess it took care of it's self with time.

This double is pretty darn good. I love that I can close and cook and then fill the other.. After composting in bins for so many decades and weighing my efforts by the cup if at all after months and months... I tell ya, pouring out 10- 15 gallons of black gold after thoughtful efforts and a few weeks... works for me! It really is the best!

What does yours look like? What does not work for you? I am sure I need another but maybe should avoid your brand? 😬😬😬😬
I would be very curious to see what the compost looks like also. So just curious, even in the colder northern climates do these compost tumblers still work?

Our huge corn silage pile would steam in the winter until the fermentation process was over. I have never seen our manure piles do this in the colder weather.

20211110_064843~2.jpg
20211110_064518.jpg

I just don't have any easily findable photos on my phone and it is still dark morning here.
This tumbler is good for kitchen scraps and chicken poop + nesting mat. If you had BIG doses of compost and room probably would not be the best bet for sure.
It helps keep the bugs contained and the rodents at bay.

You say this now, but I willing bet money that don't happen when they all hatch and start pulling at your heartstrings! :love

My money is on you will have a mixed flock before it's all over ! :gig :lau
Sorry, but this is too funny... :lau:gig
And I have to agree lol. :oops: once you see those faces... those cute little bills :love:love:love it's gunna be all over for you. Your gunna be a duck farmer. Well, at least until the mud gets out of control.

@TropicalBabies Is there a shortage of good soil on Kauai or do you have a special purpose for making your own compost? Maybe I am not understanding about not having my own compost tumbler ? :confused:
Ah!!! We have great soil here for the most part. But limited landfil. Plus putting carbon back into the soil plus micro nutrients! Yippee! With all of our sun and sandy loam I can't make enough, fast enough and if I could I'd sell it. As with our horses, we compost and sell for cheap and it goes like hot cakes. Adding organic material to your soil is absolutely, by far, the best in almost every circumstance for a bunch of reasons IMO. Why buy fertilizers or amendments 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️ when you can make it yourself from leftover kitchen scraps (minus oils and dairy) 🤷‍♀🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀ sorry, I can go one and on lol.

sorry, I can go one and on lol.
Please do that is some very interesting stuff. I totally understand the limited landfill space and if I lived there I would probably be doing the same.

We live in such a wasteful society now a days and it drives me crazy! :barnie No wonder why they are looking to Mars for another planet to ruin! LOL

Back
Top Bottom