How likely will Coturnix become extinct?

None of my hens are related—I keep no males, so each hatch starts when I swap a clutch of empties for fertile eggs I buy online. I would bet it's environmental—big space, lots of cover, no males, and I basically leave them be except to clean up and sneak a camera in there once in a while.
Why don't you keep any males it would be easier than buying new eggs every time

Why don't you keep any males it would be easier than buying new eggs every time
Because I like to restock with color morphs I don't have. I think it's more fun that way. Also, I never have to worry about a clutch developing when I don't intend it to, and I avoid the drama of picking a good roo for the flock—all males are insta-cull for me.

Switch them out? Since I'm in it for "looking pets" and eating eggs, I just let them go as long as they can. They nest anywhere they want and I just screen them off with garden netting so they don't go chasing the other girls once they get to the territorial phase. My oldest hen is over 5 years, but she's my oldest by a year—last of my first hatch. My oldest broody is over 3 (my dear Wilma).
Well, that's what I wanted to know! So, they are 'old hat' at setting. I was originally thinking it might be genetically passed down by the hens that do set, thereby, it would be their daughters that are setting, too! but your not doing it that way!

It would be interesting to see if you got 'new' birds, if they would set...thus, it would eliminate one or the other...genetics versus environment.

Yeah, 2 Nuclear bombs would probably be enough to do that, apparently.
Not unless the bulk of corturnix were concentrated around the epicenters of those two bombs.

It was probably the constant conventional bombing and a general lack of food for them. Food production facilities were fair game for bombing runs and Japan was functionally blockaded with no trade by the end of the war.

Many European chicken and dog breeds suffered similar fates.

Because I like to restock with color morphs I don't have. I think it's more fun that way. Also, I never have to worry about a clutch developing when I don't intend it to, and I avoid the drama of picking a good roo for the flock—all males are insta-cull for me.
You also spare the hens from being chased all day.

Back
Top Bottom