How long after Pipping do eggs hatch?!!! Day 21 Broody Hen

My eggs usually take between 12 and 24 hours to hatch after pipping. They often pip on day 19 or 20, but don't hatch till day 20 or 21, especially if they are among the first eggs to pip. Eggs that pip later in the hatch tend to be faster.

My eggs usually take between 12 and 24 hours to hatch after pipping. They often pip on day 19 or 20, but don't hatch till day 20 or 21, especially if they are among the first eggs to pip. Eggs that pip later in the hatch tend to be faster.
Ok thanks. I appreciate your help! I’ll be sure to update!

They'll pip and then take a breather to get their energy back before actively trying to get out of the shell. They use the airsac to get the oxygen needed to pip and then once they pip they can take a break and breathe normally
Ok got it. Will be sure to update!!

I have a hatch going on now. Last night I noticed external piping on one of my eggs from my leghorn (white egg). This morning lightening woke me at 5am. When I looked at my incubator there was a chick! Not from the one that piped last night! It was from a brown egg. I left things alone and finally the chick found the energy to unzip and get out of the egg. This chick piped first and finally hatched third in the group. So, they are all different!

incubator chick 3 unzipping.jpg incubator getting out of shell.jpg incubator chick 3 from leghorn.jpg incubator chick 3 leghorn out of shell.jpg

I have a hatch going on now. Last night I noticed external piping on one of my eggs from my leghorn (white egg). This morning lightening woke me at 5am. When I looked at my incubator there was a chick! Not from the one that piped last night! It was from a brown egg. I left things alone and finally the chick found the energy to unzip and get out of the egg. This chick piped first and finally hatched third in the group. So, they are all different!

View attachment 2168375View attachment 2168376View attachment 2168377View attachment 2168378
Ok thanks so much! All of my eggs pipped externally around morning-noon. So hopefully I get chicks by tonight or tomorrow morning!!! I will be sure to update with photos of the chicks and broody mama!

I have 6 eggs now and they are all externally pipped. So hopefully we will have chicks soon. I can’t really check a lot cause Mama Hen is being very protective. I guess that’s a good thing. Will keep you guys posted. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom