How long are red or black sex links going to lay?

otakalhasas

Songster
6 Years
Aug 10, 2013
I'm thinking of adding a couple of sexlinks (one red, one black) to my flock. I know that they lay a LOT of eggs, but for how many years? I have a 3.5 year old BCM that is still giving me three or so eggs a week (what a good girl!) but she does slow down every now and again. Could I expect a sex-link to lay until they are three? Thanks!

Thanks! So if the hens are a year old now, I could expect fairly decent production for 6 months or so then a gradual decline (generally speaking, of course!)? Do sex links continue to lay, even twice a week into their third or fourth year or do they just quit?

The problem is survival; many hens develop serious/ fatal problems with their reproductive tracts. It's not so much that they slow down their egg production, as get sick. Mary

Oh. Now that is a much different story. So it is kind of a toss of the coin as to what genes you've got and as to how long they will live, right? Well, since I would not be using the girls as breeding stock (I only breed Marans and Biels) there would be no way I could pass along poor genes. But I will have to give this idea more thought as I get quite attached to my birds and when one goes down it is always very sad.

Thanks, Mary.

This can happen to any hen of any breed. Statistics won't give you info about any individual, just odd about many birds. It's difficult (VERY!) to find flocks bred for longevity; hatcheries and many private breeders use birds no older than one year of age, which is the most cost effective way to do things. Hens (and cocks) who are doing well as two to four year olds should be valued highly, IMO. Mary

Bump for an answer? Got to be a ton of people on here who have had sex links more than two years...

Sorry, I only got my BSL for 5 months and just started laying eggs few weeks ago. I would love to hear from BSL owners as well, paging: @Beekissed, @junebuggena, @MeepBeep, @Folly's place, @Ridgerunner, and there was a guy named Michael Shea here that got me inspired to get some sex links vs leghorns. I wonder what's their input on this???

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom