thepremo1

Songster
9 Years
Feb 17, 2010
mid michigan
yeah that question up above
but heres a story
i got my chicks yesterday,
i covered the floor of the brooder with paper towel, but its made out of wood so ,since the frame is a different lvl that the floor i could cover it. i put my chicks in and within minutes they all found the pine shavings that were on the frame and started eating them. then i wiped all the chips off and spread feed around the brooder, and my 1 silver laced (wywadotte) (i cant spell)( i bought one for my gf and it had to be different from the others and this was the first breed he said(the guy who sold them to me) i really wanted a light branham, or something like that, but he had already put the otherone in the box when he mentioned that he had branhas and he was a OLD man with missing fingers so i didnt want to annoy him) anywho the one chick kicked chips everywhere and they were eating those instead of there food. then when i cleaned the water this morning there was a chip in the JAR. how is that possible!? its like magic

Texasboy4ever

Songster
11 Years
Jan 10, 2009
Greenville,Marietta,SC
When they drink or spill the water the displaced water causes air to be suck into the jar. If there is a wood chip in the water it will be sucked in and so will dirt food or what ever is in the dish

PandoraTaylor

RT Poultry n Things
10 Years
Jun 29, 2009
Alaska
Basically once they figure out food from woodshavings you can remove the papertowel covering.
I use papertowels over the wood shavings, but I would have added enough shavings to be level with the frame, that way the papertowels cover the frame & shavings.

underground chickenman

Songster
10 Years
May 30, 2009
Orlando, Florida
I put mine on shavings three or four days after arrival. Never had a problem. You must remove wet litter regularly. I recommend you put the waterer on top of some hardware cloth over a wood frame that is larger than the base of the waterer so any sloshes or spills fall through the wire where the chicks cannot contact it.

UGCM

Last edited:

Top Bottom