How long can your eggs sit out before putting them in the incubator?

austyn_stephenson

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 13, 2009
I'm wanting to know how long you can keep eggs out before putting them in the incubator and what temp does it have to be where you set them before putting them in the incubator?

I have been hatching eggs outta the incubator for about 4 to 5 yrs. now. What I do is put them in an egg carton while Im collecting them. They need to be sat with the pointed end down. Do not hold eggs any more than 7 days or they will go bad. I just keep mine in the kitchen and write DO NOT EAT!! So Id say room temp. I hope this helps ya!

I think you would keep them in a cool area..I also heard to alternate elevating one end of the carton they are in. there was a thread on here I saw the other day and I think the longest was 3 weeks..I had some for 2 weeks and they hatched. There was one trying to hatch out eggs they been storing for 6 weeks..don't know the results yet! if you scroll back for the last 3 or 4 days you should find the thread ..it was something like the longest you had th eggs before hatching! I'll try and find it and give you the info!

Ok I found it...It's about 2/3rds down this page the name of the thread is"how old was the oldest eggs you ever hatched" It was started on 4/1/13 but someone commented on it today. And someone had babies hatch out of 4 week old eggs. a lot had a good hatch rate out of 2 week old eggs. Good luck! How old are the eggs you want to hatch?

Thanks for the info! My eggs have been sitting in the house for only a few days so hopefully they will be able to be put in the incubator after Sunday cause I have some already in it that are due to hatch Sunday

I was wondering how your egg are doing? I never hatch eggs before and order them online. I'm very upset that my post office didn't call me to tell me that my hatching egsg were here. I call them this morning and they were going to call me back and never did. I got home and there was a post card in my mailbox, telling me they were here. Now the eggs are going to be sitting in the post office all weekend long. I'm trying to figure how long the eggs will last without being in a incubator?

I was wondering how did your egg do? I never hatch eggs before and order them online. I'm very upset that my post office didn't call me to tell me that my hatching eggs were here. I call them this morning and they were going to call me back and never did. I got home and there was a post card in my mailbox, telling me they were here. Now the eggs are going to be sitting in the post office all weekend long. I'm trying to figure how long the eggs will last without being in a incubator?

Last edited:
Good question, I am also not geting 100%, from the incubator as well but i sit eggs for 9 to 10 days, i also need assistance there ..............

Back
Top Bottom