How long do hybrids live for?

Apr 20, 2020
I have 7 hybrids 1 month and 3 weeks old chickens. 3 cinnamon queens, one Amberlink cock, and 3 other that I'm guessing cinnamon queens because they have a caramel look to them. I really need to know how long hybrids last for and if they are good chickens since I have hybrids. I am getting very afraid now after hearing from my brother that hybrids don't live that long. Also even if they don't live that long then is there anything to prevent it from happening. I have lost so many chickens and I really don't want to see anymore deaths. :(

;) They're not hybrids, they're crossbreds. And NO chickens are bred for long life expectancy, so it's really a roll of the dice.

If you don't push them - pour high protein feed into them, keep them under lights, force molt them, etc - they'll live as long as any other chicken. Which is to say, 2-7 years. Seven is the oldest any of mine have gotten to, although I've heard some have had older ones.

do they need protein even after they start laying eggs? Egg laying hens need calcium more, right? Also, I have a heat lamp but do they still need it after when all their feathers are out?

Standard lay pellets are fine - some people keep them on chick starter or supplement with soy to encourage rapid growth, and that can shorten the lifespan of any bird

Cinnamon Queen is a marketing name. They are not a breed. Do you know which hatchery they came from? That might help us some in knowing a bit about them.

Not all hybrids are the same. The commercial egg laying hybrids are highly specialized egg layers. They are bred to produce a lot of Grade A large eggs in one or two laying seasons and have small bodies so that the feed they eat goes to egg production, not body maintenance. They are not bred for longevity. After their second adult molt egg production drops enough they are no longer that profitable so commercial operations replace them. These are the hybrids your brother was talking about. Some people keep them for longer than two laying seasons but they are prone to medical issues.

Cinnamon Queens are also hybrids, a cross between a Rhode Island Red rooster and a Rhode Island White hen, at least the ones I found. If my memory still works I believe one hatchery called their Rhode Island Red rooster over Silver Laced Wyandotte hens cross a Cinnamon Queen also. Just a marketing name.

These are not the commercial hybrids. The baby cockerels will hatch with yellow down, the pullets hatch with brown down so you can easily sex them. These chicks will inherit their traits from their parents. Their parents are not the commercial egg laying hybrids. Your brother is not totally wrong, he was just talking about the wrong hybrids.

Your Amberlink rooster is one of those commercial hybrids. But a rooster does not lay eggs. He's not going to have the potential medical issues an Amberlink hen would.

I don't know what your other three are. Where did you get them? What did they call them?

I pretty much agree with River Otter on how to manage any hatchery chicken. If you want longevity don't overfeed them or stress them out. If you want productivity that is another situation.

Back
Top Bottom