1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long do Muscovy Ducks live?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Dotty Duck, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Dotty Duck

Dotty Duck Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2013
    SW France
    Hello all - did a quick search and can't find the answer on here.

The reason I ask is that when I went to let my girls out this morning, one of them was dead. She put herself to bed about an hour before sunset last night which is a little unusual so I just assumed she was getting herself ready to lay.

Thanks

2. Buck Oakes

Buck Oakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Some muscovies can lie a long long long long time , first of all it probably die of poor sanitation they don't even like wing put up , they want to be outside all the time and when thy are confined in even a large space but with feces and no water for bathing they can die of salmonella or any other disease.

Muscovies can truthfully live as long as dogs if kept in good outdoor conditions and kept on a healthy diet

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I know Miss Lydia has some in the 9yr mark. Sadly, ducks being prey animals hide symptoms very well. You may not know what happened, she may have been egg bound, could have been viral, infection etc...

Sorry for your loss. It's frustrating, but sometimes you cannot find the cause. Keep an eye on remaining ducks, perhaps thoroughly examine them just for any indicators..

4. Buck Oakes

Buck Oakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Yeah Lydia would really be a reliable source, and yeah I agree about the egg bound part

5. Speceider

Speceider Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Don't know specifically about scovies....but wild mallards have lived over 20 years.

Clint

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Dotty, I was thinking. Is there a university around there that could do a necropsy? That's the way to know what happened. How old was she?

7. sno37

sno37 New Egg

May 18, 2016
    I have one male Donald. Hes at least 16yrs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by