How long does it take?

PotterWatch

My Patronus is a Chicken
11 Years
Apr 22, 2008
Virginia
Is there an average time a hen will sit in a nest before she lays an egg? One of our pullets was making all kinds of racket and then climbed in the nest box. I'm certain there will be an egg there before she gets up again. We sat and watched for about 10mins but no egg yet. Anyone have an idea of how long it takes the egg to be laid once the chicken gets in the box? Thanks!

Edited for spelling

Last edited:
It seems to vary with my hens. Some get in the nest and in not too long they lay their egg, while others seem to spend 1/2 the day (probably isn't that long, just seems like it!) before they get the job done.

Depends on the hen, really. We had one that would lay in 1/2 an hour and another that took 3 hours. Don't worry. I've never seen a chicken lay an egg in 10 minutes.

ETA: Katy, we posted at the same time!

Last edited by a moderator:
I know my girls are kinda stuck up when it comes to laying...I have a few that will refuse to lay if i am anywhere in the coop...i will stand at the door and be so quite and she will "bark" at me as if to say ummmm hellloooo privacy needed here...do ya mind...lol

Quote:
Great minds think alike you know!!
smile.png

Thanks! I figured that would be the answer but you never know until you ask, right?

She did lay the egg after we left. I went out about 5mins ago and there it was, still nice and warm!

Back
Top Bottom