How long from Internal pip to External Pip??? (Quail)

Joylime322

Songster
Aug 27, 2020
Hello Community! Yesterday, I saw some small "lifting" of the shell (like a pip) but it hadn't broken the membrane or very much of the shell. I simply assumed that the chick inside had made their internal pip and pushed hard on the inner wall of the shell. A few eggs have this, I think. Its day 18 of their incubation... and I am so so ready for them to hatch. So how long does it take them from internal pip to making an external pip? If I can't see any external pips this morning does that mean they will likely hatch tmrw? This is my first hatch so I am very new at this. Advise is welcomed with open arms. :wee

Hello Community! Yesterday, I saw some small "lifting" of the shell (like a pip) but it hadn't broken the membrane or very much of the shell. I simply assumed that the chick inside had made their internal pip and pushed hard on the inner wall of the shell. A few eggs have this, I think. Its day 18 of their incubation... and I am so so ready for them to hatch. So how long does it take them from internal pip to making an external pip? If I can't see any external pips this morning does that mean they will likely hatch tmrw? This is my first hatch so I am very new at this. Advise is welcomed with open arms. :wee
Does anyone know what this "lifting" actually means? Is it an internal pip? Or is it an attempt at an external pip and they are struggling...

In close to perfect conditions the answer would be 24 hours but I'm going to say you are not dealing with close to perfect conditions if it's day 18.

How many calibrated thermometers do you have in your incubator?
Did you buy a humidity gauge and salt test it?
Last one for now...when was the last time you candled?

Back
Top Bottom