how long is the Cutler Supply Shipping time frame

Sheesh Kelsey I have about 3 months before I even consider touching the AC in these parts.

NewChickMom, I know exactly what you mean about finding room with the turner in there. I have several of the Walmart digital thermometers and it is still going to be tight. I don't plan on hatching all 42 eggs so I removed a tray or two for the room. Unless you are doing a dry incubation method the 'normal' humidity should be between 50-60% so you are right in the norm. Is the plug in or out? Mine is out right now and it is still holding humidity well. I think I read on here where folks are putting aquarium tubing in the plug hole and using a large syringe to inject water in the tubing to refill the tray so they don't have to lift the lid off. I think I may try that.

Quote:
I never thought of taking a tray or two out. Good idea.

Quote:
I have kept the plug in consistently so far. Using the bator "dry", I get a max temp reading of 99 degrees. Since adding water (2 cups to a single channel), I could only get a maximum of 97.5 degrees. That's not good.
So I began my trials again this morning with: a little less water, egg turner (to create a little motor heat I hope, and leaving the plug in. In a couple hours I will check and see what we have. Perhaps I'm overthinking this... Does a chicken worry this much?
barnie.gif

Quote:
It's an ongoing myth/fact (depending what you believe) that the cuteness of silkies is a ploy for you to love them so they can steal your soul. I laughed it off at first but lately.........
hu.gif

Quote:
It's an ongoing myth/fact (depending what you believe) that the cuteness of silkies is a ploy for you to love them so they can steal your soul. I laughed it off at first but lately.........
hu.gif

I thought that I was feeling my soul being sucked out last weekend while holding my new white silkie "Madonna". "TinaTurner" evidently doesn't have soul-sucking talent yet because she isn't nice enough to hold.
23790_tinat__madonna.jpg

Quote:
When you added the water was it cold tap water? That will suck a little of the heat, not to mention when you removed the lid let out much of the heat. Just give it time to warm up again and I bet your temps and humidity will be back to normal. The instructions said thermometers could be off and the thermostat should be set correctly for chickens. If you have more than one thermometer put it in and I bet you get slightly different readings. The one that came with it was a little different than my digital. I'd fill the "C" channel and let it sit a bit. The book says the "C" channel is what to fill for the incubation period then on day 18 remove the turner and fill both "C" and "T" channels for the hatch to increase the humidity.

I filled the "C" channel and left the "T" channel empty and my temp was at 99.6-100 within an hour. The humidity took a little longer but did get there.

Let me know how it is working.

"tina turner" is very pretty though. She probably knows that and is just giving you attitude
roll.png
What a diva!

Quote:
Yes, I made this mistake but I also think the biggest mistake was adding too much water. I let it run all night and it never got above 97 degrees.
Later this morning, I drained it, added just enough water to cover the bottom of channel "C", and it's been consistenly 98.5 degrees and about 46-52% humidity. Think this newbie is ready for some eggs! Shopping for some now.....

Back
Top Bottom