How long (lifespan) do ducks lay eggs? Mainly Muscovies

katlovesaandw

Songster
11 Years
Apr 1, 2008
Oregon
I know chickens for egg laying, that most lay best within the first year to 18 months and then slow down after that. If varies per breed, etc.

Hubby and I were talking about getting these boys some babes this weekend and he wanted to know how long in their lifespan do ducks lay eggs? I want to make sure we get duck hens the same age or older than the boys(6 mo) but not so old that we defeat our purpose of getting some eggs out of this deal!

Thanks for the help!!

I can tell you that my Sally, a Cayuga, is 9 years old and still laying. I can't tell you about Muscovy's because mine are just going to be a year old on Valentines day.

This is Sally.
24335_20100323_12.jpg

Laurie

Quote:
Muscovies aren't the most prolific layers around, perhaps 90 to 100 eggs a year or so. We only keep our hens for around three years because it seems they lose 10 to 20% of their production for every year of life. They also go broody in a heartbeat, which interferes with egg production.

For this reason we are planning on dumping our muscovy lineup after next summer. There is too little demand for their meat where we are located, and their egg production is too poor to justify keeping them around for commercial purposes. We are currently using pekins as a dual purpose bird with good success.

so when ducks ley eggs do they just keep laying
Well kinda, they will start laying around 5-7 months of age and will lay consistantly for a while depending on the ducks breed of course, then they will take a couple weeks break and start up again. usually till molt then another break, when molt takes place usually in the fall of the year some breeds will quit laying till following spring as mine do being Muscovy. I havee 3 older girls 8yrs old and they very seldom ever lay and egg now, ducky menopause I suspect. When they are brooding they don't lay either.

Last edited:
I can tell you that my Sally, a Cayuga, is 9 years old and still laying. I can't tell you about Muscovy's because mine are just going to be a year old on Valentines day.

This is Sally.
24335_20100323_12.jpg

Laurie
Wow! That's one old duck! And amazing that she is still laying!
And I LOVE how she has changed color. I have some Cayugas going on 3 years that just started to show some white feathers. They are so pretty and its fun how they change color!

This is Sally.
24335_20100323_12.jpg

Laurie
So pretty! I knew Cayugas get white feathers as they age, but I've never actually seen a pic.

My 3 year old Welsh Harlequin is still laying as well as she did 2 years ago. She's the oldest duck I have right now.

Last edited:
Ok. Help, please. I have a Swedish blue, N Indian Runner, and a Rowan. They all quit laying when it got hot-- not over 100. Cooled off then got hot again, no eggs, now taking turns molting. Still no eggs. Laying mash clean water twice a day, nice yard, secure housing. ..but no eggs 2-1/2 months. What gives?? They were laying good before. . .they're only 1-1/2 . . . .

Back
Top Bottom