How long on medicated feed

RIVERA69R

Songster
11 Years
Jun 9, 2008
VENICE FL
My chick are 6wks old now should I keep them on medicated feed until laying time or do I switch to something else before they go to layer feed?
idunno.gif

I would keep them on 50 percent med. start and mix with your next choice of feed. I usually use poultry grain as the other 50 percent for the weeks of 5 to 10 of age. They really enjoy the grains and it gives them great energy. Layer crumbles are more expensive than grain and the chickies will not be laying until at least 6 months possibly longer.

At 11 weeks they are in free range here and poultry grain as free choice.

I have a feeder full of layer crumbles and I goes a bit slower than the grains. I have seen the roosters at the layer feeder and I have not had any problems what so ever. I do keep oyster shell out for the ladies and from time to time I do see a roo in it.

I think it is important for the chickies to have a nice chance at not getting cocci all the way up to 11 weeks of age but this is just what i do.

Do not feed layer ration or provide extra calciumn until they are laying age. The extra calcium at a young age can hurt them, liver damage I believe. After about 6 weeks, switch to grower ration.

Purely my opinion and no specific knowledge or experience to back it up, but I'd suggest keeping them on medicated feed for about 2 weeks after they get outside, whether you have an existing flock or not. The medicated feed helps reduce their chance of becoming sick with cocci. It allows them to build up a resistance to cocci with less chance of becoming dangerously ill with it. There are 6 or 7 different strains of cocci. When they first go outside, they may come into contact with a strain they are not immune against.

As I said, purely my opinion. Good luck and enjoy!

So the chick medicated feed is different then the grower feed so now they are at 6wks old i should switch to a grower feed instead of medicated feed correct?

Quote:
Did you read the bag? If it is Purina it will say keep them on starter/grower till they are ready to lay(18 week). If it is Tractor Supply (dumor) it is on thier bag too.

Back
Top Bottom