How long til free ranging?

Kute_Keets

Chirping
Apr 26, 2019
Echuca, Victoria, Australia
Hi everyone.
I have had my guineas in the coup for two weeks since I got them. Eventually I want them roaming around but I'm not sure how long to leave them penned up. I see 4 weeks and 6 weeks online. What do you experts recommend?
The video shows my set up and some guineas it has a large covered nesting area and a very long run. They have eaten all the grass now .....so I'm wondering, since they need to stay in there for a while yet, should I be taking grass into them in addition to their grain feed?
Really not sure on either of these points as they are my first lot of guineas.
Hope for some ideas?
:)

Attachments

• IMG_1165.jpg
    IMG_1165.jpg
    1,022.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1164.jpg
    IMG_1164.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
Hi everyone.
I have had my guineas in the coup for two weeks since I got them. Eventually I want them roaming around but I'm not sure how long to leave them penned up. I see 4 weeks and 6 weeks online. What do you experts recommend?
The video shows my set up and some guineas it has a large covered nesting area and a very long run. They have eaten all the grass now .....so I'm wondering, since they need to stay in there for a while yet, should I be taking grass into them in addition to their grain feed?
Really not sure on either of these points as they are my first lot of guineas.
Hope for some ideas?
:)
Did you get the guineas as keets and raise them to the point they are or did you buy partially grown guineas?

If you raised them from day old keets, you can start letting them out for awhile after the two weeks because they really have not known anywhere else as home.

If you bought them as partially raised guineas, you will need to keep them in longer to help them learn that this is now their home.

Adult guineas on the other hand need a minimum of 6 weeks before letting them out because they know this is not home.

No matter which situation it is, it is best to only let them out for short supervised outings at first. If they do well the supervision can be decreased and the outings can be lengthened gradually.

Hi R2elk
Thanks for that, I bought these at 12 weeks so they have only been here for about 14 days. Do you suggest 4 or 6 weeks? I believe you let one out for a while and then maybe 2 more? But really not sure on the best way to handle it. :idunno
I would definitely wait at least 4 weeks but it would not hurt to wait the full 6 weeks.

If you have a way to let some out and still make it so they can all see each other it will work better than if the ones you let out cannot see the others.

When I let my first ones out, I let them all out at the same time but they were being fully supervised. They weren't out for more than an hour the first time and I carefully herded them back into the coop.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom