How long to keep jumbo browns in brooder.

crazzzymike13

Songster
13 Years
Dec 15, 2007
Texas
I'm about to start raising jumbo brown coturnix quail for meat and eggs. I was wondering how long should I keep them in a brooder? I hear 6 weeks or so. At 6 weeks they are ready to be processed. Wouldn't that mean they would have to live under the lights from egg til process? I would think if they mature that quick wouldn't that mean they wouldn't need the light as long as chickens? Let me know. Ty

I think it's more a matter of temperature then time. They should take at least 2 weeks in the brooder at a temperature that should be decreased over time and starting at around 100 degrees on the level the chicks area at... Once they can take room or outdoor temps, they can be removed from the brooder and put in a finishing pen. They should be separated shortly before 6 weeks..
I'm a noob but thats what I gather from reading other posts and stickies..

Big is right, start them out warm and decrease their temps by 5-10 degrees weekly until they are fully feathered. I have taken 5 week old birds to the shed when it was 25 for a high temp but I lost a couple doing it so be aware that it needs to be warm enough and make sure they are feathered out. I have 4 week old birds now that are going to the shed tomorrow but the lowest temp coming up soon will be in the high 40's so they should be fine.

I raise JB This year its been so warm its hard to say ,Normaly 3/4 weeks if there feathered out .I got some 3 week old in Garage with no heat.Days have been low 80s nites low 70s were talking outside temp Garage is buffered somewhat....cva34

In summer I Push them outside at 2 two weeks but I try to push their feather and development by making sure the food never runs low at all. And I will try to supply the highest percentage protein feed I can find.
I do leave a light on 24/7 ... I tried to do a natural day and night thing cos I have a ceramic heater but that resulted in 10 of them drowning trying to help the others that slipped in the water dish and were crying cold.

In winter I put them out at about 3-4 weeks ...

At around 3 weeks they seem to have this big growth spurt. I like to wait until after that to move them to the garage. But the garage is also partially heated in the winter, so it rarely gets below 50 out there. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom