How long until turn off bator? Day 23....24....25?

mjolly

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 7, 2008
How long do you typically wait after a hatch to determine when it is time to turn off the bator. I am on day 22 and still have 4 really good potential eggs to hatch yet.

I may give them till the beginning of Day 23, if I think my values have been too low during incubation, but that's very rare. If they aren't out by Day 22's end, I pip to see if they're alive. It's rare that they are, in my experience. I know some say they've had Day 24-25 hatches, but I wont let mine go that long. I dont want to encourage late hatching, in general. That's just me.

Last edited:
That's what I wondered. I may pip the egg to peek inside tonight (end of Day 22) or tomorrow morning Day 23.

Still hoping for the best!

Thanks

They are all dead, fully developed. From the look of it, they stopped developing just a day or so ago. Maybe they did not adjust to the higher humidity? They were so close. I wonder why they did not make it? It is so sad and frustrating at the same time. Hoping I can figure out what went wrong. I don't want to repeat it again next time.

Any thoughts?

Marva

I on occasion have one or two like that, too. Hard to say when some hatch just fine and a couple dont. Could be a genetic weakness in that chick or just anything. If your humidity is good and temp is fine, probably just something with those particular chicks. Sorry about the ones that didnt make it.

I just had the same thing happen to me, I too think the humidity at the end wasn't necessary. Mine seemed very "wet". I dry incubated but I think the extra humidity at the end was the culprit. Good luck on you next hatch!
Krista

Quote:
This is good to know. I too dry incubate and I just pumped the humidity for my last three days. Maybe I'll just take some of that water out. I really believe the culprit for most bad hatches is too much humidity.

Back
Top Bottom