1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How many BBW

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by elbesta, Nov 14, 2013.

1. elbesta

elbesta Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2013
    I am building a new pen that is 40' by 24' with a 8' by 12' coop on the side. How many turkeys can I keep in this size pen. I will have 3 for breeding stock year around, and the rest will be BBW for meat birds just for the summer. This is a brooder I made.
    [​IMG]

2. neverbdone

neverbdone Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2008
    Lake Isabella, CA
    dont know how to answer your question, but with my hollands I have 20 x 30 with a 10 foot"roof" of chicken screen and 20 birds with no problems. Have to process 11 next week. I'm still a newbee as far as turkeys (2 years). Still working on stuff myself.

3. TamTurkey

TamTurkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2012
    Texas
    I raise Show Birds BBW. Poults require 2 square feet of floor space through 4 weeks of age and 6 square feet from 4 through 8 weeks of
    age. By 12 weeks of age, hens must have at least 7 square feet, and toms at least 10 square feet.

4. elbesta

Oct 13, 2013
    This is where they will be. Should be lots of room for about 15 birds.
    [​IMG]

Still workin on it if the snow would go away.

5. TamTurkey

TamTurkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2012
    Texas
    My spoiled birds would not be able to stand that cold! BBW aren't that hardy of birds so make sure you can keep them around 70-50° or you'll have a hard time getting them to eat! BBW are wimps they weren't made to survive to harsh cold. Good luck. I'd put a heater by the food maybe it'll keep them near the food to stay warm!

6. elbesta

Oct 13, 2013
    I'm getting the birds in the spring so ill only have the BBW tell fall.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by