How many BYCers cannot drive a straight drive (manual) vehicle?

Can you drive a straight drive?

• Yes, It's the only thing I drive.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but I prefer not to.

• Kind of; I know how to crack it up.

• No, never learned how to.

• No, and I refuse to.

• Other - Please specify.

• Total voters
NO and I refused to!

I vaguely learned to drive a VW stick shift and kept popping the clutch and killing the engine too many to count. Frustrating to say but I can not get the cooridenation going.

Hubby had a Jeep Sahara that had stick drive and he loves it. Also his Goldwing motorcyle has shift gears too and can do that one too.

Anything that requires shifting, as lazy as I am, NO stick shifting or foot shifting on motorcycles for me!
wink.png

The only stick shift I've ever tried to drive was a Geo Metro Straight Shift my mom had a few years back. I tried and she tried to teach me, but I just didn't understand. Every time I tried to shift, the car would die. I have no coordination, so I don't think I could master the clutch and shifter at the same time.

So I voted no and refuse to.

I learned how to drive in a stick shift. It made driving an automatic seem sooooo easy. I feel like you pay more attention to what you are doing when you re driving and shifting at the same time.
big_smile.png

Pathetic but true story.....I have a CDL. I can drive any old big rig you put me in, but I CAN NOT drive a stick automobile. My brain wants to double clutch and I kill the car EVERY TIME!!!! Yup, I have driven over 500,000 miles on 18 wheels but can't manage my FIL's toyota tundra.
hu.gif

you really needed a choice that said, "Yes, and it's what I prefer to drive."

Fact is, it's not always possible to find a standard vehicle though. I've sent car delerships into a total tizzy when I've wanted a standard shift vehicle.

They'll get it for you if you stand your ground, but it's not always easy. On the bright side, when shopping for a used vehicle, you can often get a better price for one due to modern peeps not being able to handle a clutch!!

I much prefer standards!

Well I had to choose "yes but I prefer not too" because it was closer than "yes it's the only thing I drive". I used to only drive manual transmission cars, but then after I had DD it was easier to drive automatic. I love a nice zippy manual sports car! Fun! Plus if you know how to drive manual you can drive tractors and all sorts of other stuff.

I've never heard a manual/straight drive vehicle called a "standard" before. That's a new one. Also, I've heard of 4 in the Floor, but 3 on the tree? That's new for me, too!

Back
Top Bottom