How many chickens did you start with and when?

trunkman

Songster
10 Years
Dec 26, 2009
Rock Hill SC
I started with 6 hens and 3 roosters back on Jan. 3rd of this year, I bought them from craigs list from a seller that told me they were white rocks that ended up being meat birds, anyway since then I purchased 7 chicks from TSC and ordered 10 chicks from an internet site on here... I now have 11 pullets and 1 roo which are all doing great and producing 9 to 10 eggs a day. I'm selling about 4 dozen a week to friends and enjoying the fresh eggs!
big_smile.png

We started with 2 BOs (1 died- Freckles is the other one).... when Poppy died,we got Shaquaria (BR cross) and Fluffy(EE cross?). I am not quite sure when we decided we needed more, but then we got Chaka Khan (EE). Some time went by and we started noticing some differences.... turned out Shaquaria and Freckles are roos. To compensate, we went out and got 2 more hens- Ivory (WBR) and Pepper (BA). The flock will go down if we can find homes for the roos (supersweet but not allowed
sad.png
), but then we will find 2 more girls to fill the spots...

25 brown egg layers, and 6 meaties this Jan.
Gave 6 to my friend... You know what happened to the meaties, then adopted 4 older hens from another friend... They are currently freeloading (no eggs) but they are nice enough so they stay under the radar..
Adopted 10 Muscovy's a few months back.

Eggs everywhere..

In March DH bought 6 sex links at TSC, then 2 weeks later 5 BO's from a feed store, then 6 days later our order for 3 BR's, 3 EE's, 5 SLW's arrived at the same feed store.

Chicken Math is working on me...I'm looking at hatching eggs from breeders now!
lau.gif

Ok you asked for it. In May DH bulit me a coop and got 2 RIR's for me for Mothers Day as I had always wanted chickens. Then we went to an auction and got 6 more RIR's about the same age as my first 2 which were about 2 months old. I wanted different breeds so I found a farm near me and got 6 BR's being new I didnt know how to tell the difference between the males and females and they were 10 days old so I ended up with 5 roos. Went back down to the farm when I figured out they were boys to trade she wouldnt trade but gave me 2 more a BR and a BA both ended up boys. Ordered 10 from Ideal 9 were DOA and the last died 3 days later. Found another farm that the lady told me how to sex them and so far I have about a 90 percent accuracy, got 5 from her one ended up a boy got 4 naked necks 1 boy went to another farm got 6 he threw in 3 mixes 2 boys.I have rehomed all but 4 of the boys keeping 2 and 2 are going next week. I hatched 22 out of 23 RIR eggs in October sold all 22 to one man now have 4 in the incubator from my chicken RIR/BR crosses. So if you have lost track I have 9 RIR's 6 BR's 2 BA's 2 NN's 6 mixes, 1 Delaware roo 4 in the bator and just bought my DD for Christmas 2 Bearded Belgian D'Anvers. And thats just this year wait til next year
lau.gif

2 yrs ago my kids wanted chicks for Easter. I have 4 kids and each got two chicks of their pick out of the bin and then I got two with feathered feet for my mother, so 10 in total. I only lost one out of those. I then found out I had 7 roos out of 9 chicks. So it started there. I only have one from the orignals, and that is my cochin roo named Fancy Pants.

Last edited:
In October 2008 we started with 10 Red Stars. We then had a RIR rooster given to us. Hubby ordered 25 babies and got them March 2009: Roo was mean so got rid of him and had oredered 1 DE roo and besides him we got 2 other SSH. Sold the 2 SSH and just had Jack and roughly 30 girls, then had a broody Red Star (yes a res star) hatch out 3 babies, all boys, so sold 2 and left us with Jack and JJ and out girls. Loads of broodies this summer and broody hens hatched out 16 or maybe 18 babies and so far 4 confirmed roos, so I am guessing I am close to the 50 mark, and had so many broody hens and now added 6 BO, so probably have tons more next year. And I have 2 Embden geese and khaki Campbell duck (lost my drake:( . But looking for a friend for my kc duck.

Anyone have an extra girl they want to get rid of to a nice forever ?home

Back
Top Bottom