How many chickens do you have and what do you do with all the eggs?

SelfMadeFarming

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 9, 2013
This is my first year raising chickens on my own.
I currently have 5 hens.
I'm curious to know how many chickens is appropriate to feed a family of 5 and still have some for family and friends.
I'm thinking of downsizing to only 3 hens, although I've grown attached to all of them.

I always suggest two hens for each member of the family, if you like eggs. This provides at least 1 egg per day per family member. Eggs will keep for weeks on the counter and for month in the refrigerator. I can't have too many eggs! And if I do, you're right, start giving them away to family, friends, neighbors. So I would keep all 5 hens if I were you.

If you've got production hatchery birds then one bird per family member is enough. Pullet year with RIR (production reds), Barred Rocks, Black Stars and Leghorns we were inundated with eggs. Our first year with chickens and all hatchery production birds. 8 pullets to 6 family members, was getting 6-7 eggs per week per bird. Every two weeks I'd make up a big batch of egg salad to use them up and keep the freshest eggs for sunny side up on toast.

If you've got heritage stock then you need more than one bird per family member as your likely to only get 4-5 eggs per bird per week. It depends on how much you eat eggs. A family of 5 can consume two dozen scrambled during Saturday morning brunch.

Another great way to get rid of a building supply of eggs is to make deviled eggs or pickle them, use the pickled polish sausage containers with juice for something a little spicey. Both get gobbled up in no time by the kids for snacks.

Thanks for the info.
I think I'm going to end up keeping all 5, I think I would chicken out if I had to give some away.
They are all from a hatchery
2 Barred Rocks - 1 Rhode Island Red - 2 Dominiques

So far 1 of the Barred Rocks started laying this week. I get one egg everyother day. So I got 3 eggs total since she started laying on Sunday. They are so small, but cute.

I was so proud, I got them all as day old chicks last summer
:cd

One thing to plan for is what to do when your birds stop laying so well. For their first laying year (6 months-18 months old) you'll get tons of eggs. The next laying year, you'll get about 20% fewer eggs. The third year, you'll get even fewer.

I see you are homesteading, do you plan to eat your spent hens? What we do is buy new chicks each year, starting in year two. So if I want a flock of 5, then I buy 5 chicks when the current chickens are beginning their second laying year. When the original hens moult for the second time that fall, the new chicks should be grown and take over. You then eat or sell the original 5.

It's even easier if you want to grow slowly and get your original birds over two years. First year, buy 5 chicks. Next year, buy 5 chicks. Third year, buy 5 chicks and eat the original 5 chicks. etc.

If you plan to keep your birds past their second year, you'll need to have the space to get more young birds each year to keep your egg numbers up, so make any facilities BIG.

I have four hens, 10 three week old chicks, and a waiting list of egg customers.
big_smile.png

I sell mine for $4 a dozen.

I don't NEED to sell mine so as I get extra I sell them. I ordered some cute cartons and offer a .50 towards the next dozen if you bring it back.

Back
Top Bottom