How many chickens in 56 square foot coop/run

ILIKEDUCKS

Songster
Mar 7, 2020
Australia
My friend who lives in a backyard setting has got her run and coop finished and has got all the necessary items for keep ing chickens she wants to buy some pullets and her council law says we can get a rooster as long it Does not crow between 7pm-6am so what’s the correct amount of chickens for her her coop is 56 square foot any help is appreciated

My friend who lives in a backyard setting has got her run and coop finished and has got all the necessary items for keep ing chickens she wants to buy some pullets and her council law says we can get a rooster as long it Does not crow between 7pm-6am so what’s the correct amount of chickens for her her coop is 56 square foot any help is appreciated
No more than five. I personally wouldn't get more than 4.
He'll crow before 6 AM and after 7 PM. They crown whenever they want. I've heard my boys go off as early as 4:30 during the summer and as late as 9:00 at night. Later if they hear something they don't recognize near the coop. Motion lights and car head lights sweeping over the coop can set them off.
Don't get a rooster. If he's nice, she'll just get attached and then be upset when she is forced to get rid of him.

She can choose from the breeds above and Australorp x black leghorn bantam which one is best for eggs she says she really wants the silky crosses
Other than a rooster, Silkies are the worst for eggs.
It sounds to me like your friend is determined to over crowd her setup.

I'd say no more than 2. Here in europe, organic regulations say 4 m2 per chicken outside, and 6 chickens per m2 inside. Speaking from experience, this is about right. I just looked up how much 56 sq feet is,google says it's aout 5 m2, so i wouldn't put in more than 2.

No more than five. I personally wouldn't get more than 4.
He'll crow before 6 AM and after 7 PM. They crown whenever they want. I've heard my boys go off as early as 4:30 during the summer and as late as 9:00 at night. Later if they hear something they don't recognize near the coop. Motion lights and car head lights sweeping over the coop can set them off.
Don't get a rooster. If he's nice, she'll just get attached and then be upset when she is forced to get rid of him.
thank you so what is better for them not to get cramped up and feel stuffy so I can tell her

She said that she has found a breeder nearby and is picking up two Australorp bantam x rhode island red chicks and Australorp Bantam x silkie Have never seen them before but there bantams she also wants two red sex links so is that a good number I have only every kept polish bantams how small are austflop bantams

She can choose from the breeds above and Australorp x black leghorn bantam which one is best for eggs she says she really wants the silky crosses

Back
Top Bottom