How Many Eggs Did You Get Today?

17 in the past 3 days from 8 birds.What is weird is that they started to lay again on the 1st--like yhey made a New Years resolution. Go figure
wee.gif
!!!

You sure you are an artist and not an engineer or accountant? WAY too detailed and scientific for a free spirited artist
wink.png

Heheh, well... I was born with a right and a left brain... might as well use them both.

Looks like Nandi and Saffron need a kick in their fluffy butts!

Bruce

Like I said... according to when the last of the EEs who are laying started, 9 hours and 45 minutes between sunrise and sunset was acceptable to induce laying... Tomorrow we'll be back up to a 9 hour and 45 minute day again... And I have indeed caught her scouting nests this week... so, I am crossing my fingers and toes that she's ready to start any day from here on out now.

Nandi, on the other hand, hasn't seemed as interested in the nests or nesting... but Inara, my other SLW started laying at 24 weeks old on a day with 10 hours and 15 minutes... which happens again on Jan 30th... so... Sometime in the next couple of weeks here, I should start to see some nesting behaviors.

They're 34 weeks old on Wednesday... plenty old enough to lay... and the temps haven't been exceptionally bitter cold here this winter, gonna be mid 50's again on the weekend... so, I really think it all comes down to the sun now.

Well, after giving a long-winded report yesterday about getting 20 eggs from our 24 BSL's the Gals stepped it up again and got even closer to that 100% mark. Today we got 22 and one of them is a mega egg. On the scale it shows as 3-1/4 ounces! We've been getting a mega egg every few days due to them being young hens. Last week we got 3 mega eggs in the same day. I put four in a carton along with 8 other normal sized eggs and gave them to my neighbor down the lane. I had to tape the carton to keep it from spilling out. I give Mike free eggs each week because he's a big help watching the Gals and locking them up when we're out of town. Plus he has a front-loader and back-hoe he lets us use whenever we need to. We make sure Mike is happy... He won't take money but he will take eggs... Where else can I find a construction guy like that?

Well, after giving a long-winded report yesterday about getting 20 eggs from our 24 BSL's the Gals stepped it up again and got even closer to that 100% mark.  Today we got 22 and one of them is a mega egg.  On the scale it shows as 3-1/4 ounces!  We've been getting a mega egg  every few days due to them being young hens.  Last week we got 3 mega eggs in the same day.  I put four in a carton along with 8 other normal sized eggs and gave them to my neighbor down the lane.  I had to tape the carton to keep it from spilling out.  I give Mike free eggs each week because he's a big help watching the Gals and locking them up when we're out of town.  Plus he has a front-loader and back-hoe he lets us use whenever we need to.  We make sure Mike is happy... He won't take money but he will take eggs... Where else can I find a construction guy like that?

:thumbsup :yiipchick

I'm so bad at remembering at the end of the hectic day how many I got, I have to start a new carton each morning, and I only have eight chickens!

At the least, use a pencil to put the date on the egg when you put it in the carton. Unless you eat them all the day you get them or the one after, you'll want to know which are the oldest
smile.png

Hope your life calms a bit soon!

Today we got 22 and one of them is a mega egg. On the scale it shows as 3-1/4 ounces! We've been getting a mega egg every few days due to them being young hens.

What kind of ducks did you say you were raising?? 3.25 oz is .75 oz over the break between XL and Jumbo for chicken eggs!

Bruce

At the least, use a pencil to put the date on the egg when you put it in the carton. Unless you eat them all the day you get them or the one after, you'll want to know which are the oldest :)

Hope your life calms a bit soon.

Bruce

Yes, I actually put the date on the carton. I can keep track of that, at least, lol. If I get more than 2 or 3 dozen, usually over the weekend, my husband takes them to work. They are waiting in line fr those delicious eggs! We eat quite a few, here, too. Last week we were on a French toast kick. Found some really yummy recipes.

Had 6 first hing this morning, at 7:30. Haven't went out to check for the other two that should be there since I got home from work. Checking soon.

The girls slowed down right after Thanksgiving, due to the shorter days. With 7 chickens, I was only getting 1-2 eggs per day. I've noticed that the days are starting to get longer again, and production is starting to go up. I got 4/7 yesterday!

Woo Hoo!
wee.gif

I love how having chickens keeps me more in touch with the length of the days and the cycle of nature.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom