How Many Eggs Did You Get Today?

Today I got 5 eggs, which is the most I've had in almost a month!
ya.gif

I think I figured out what the problem is. About a month ago I bought a different type of food. Although my chickens free range and get all kids of natural foods during the day, I think something in the pellets made them reduce their laying to almost nil. Last weekend I bought a bag of Layena and egg production was up almost immediately. Has anyone else noticed that the brand of food affects egg laying?

I suspect that the early production of one of my ladies (out of 18 pullets, at 14 weeks of age) can be attributed to having to feed Layer rations while waiting for more Grower/Finisher to be available.

Yes, I live in an area without options for buying feed.
hmm.png

14/19 Good day. Got 2 dozen of the previous eggs hard boiled today (actually I don't boil them but they are still considered "hard boiled") and we'll see if my old standard technique helps with getting the shells off eggs this fresh. I've heard that can be a problem. Never had an issue peeling the eggs I've baked, but those were always store bought eggs so we'll see when I get after them tomorrow.

I suspect that the early production of one of my ladies (out of 18 pullets, at 14 weeks of age) can be attributed to having to feed Layer rations while waiting for more Grower/Finisher to be available.

Yes, I live in an area without options for buying feed.
hmm.png

We had one RIR out of our chicks that was always more well developed than the others. At 3 weeks old she was twice as big as some of her buddies of the same age. She laid her first egg at 16 weeks. I don't think it is feed related though, I think some chickens just genetically mature faster than others. Could be attributed a little bit to food additives, but I think maturation is more genetic unless the birds are given hormones. If it was the feed, all the pullets would be laying early.

6 Chicken egg's
thumbsup.gif

Funny day 90 F degrees ya had to find a sweeter it was so cold ,,, no really not use to the cold and it rained for five hours this morning and at the end the ground was slightly dis colored not wet ........
big_smile.png

The geese and ducks did enjoy it ......
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom