How Many Eggs Did You Get Today?

13/23 from the girls today, was really surprised with it storming like it was. Even had 1 girl lay on the floor, that never happens thankfully. So hope it was just over being stressed or something.

OMG I wish I had those extras, can't keep up with my egg people in nice weather, let alone in these frigid temps.
11 today. My girls are laying well, but I can barely keep up with the demand from those who buy my extras.
I'm so jealous! I think we have the highest population of chicken owners here in Washington State! There doesn't seem to be a high demand for eggs!

I wonder if it's because they passed a city ordinance last year allowing the city dwellers to own hens. When I drive down residential streets here, I see coops in so many back yards! I'm really happy for them too. I love that they can grow their own food, it is a good ordinance!

22/25/30
8 brown
9 blue
5 white

I sold 2 White Leghorns to a nice lady who has the cutest coop and run in town today. I liked her so much that i am selling her 2 Easter Eggers tomorrow.

I am downsizing!
The youngest wants Leghorns now too since that's what we ordered last yr and they sent us SLW's. LOL Only a couple though to balance out the egg colors. I am already going to be over run when the weather heats up.
Which reminds I gotta see a lady about some blue eggs soon.
wink.png

I'm so jealous! I think we have the highest population of chicken owners here in Washington State! There doesn't seem to be a high demand for eggs!

I wonder if it's because they passed a city ordinance last year allowing the city dwellers to own hens. When I drive down residential streets here, I see coops in so many back yards! I'm really happy for them too. I love that they can grow their own food, it is a good ordinance!
I thought we would have a big demand too, guess not. But yes, AMEN to letting folks grow their own food!!!

Try living in a town of 600 where loads of people also have backyard chickens and getting rid of excess eggs. <sigh> Just on my block alone I have my chickens and I have 3 neighbors with larger flocks. But because my setup can be seen from the street and I am able to pull nice, clean eggs from the coop I don't seem to have as much trouble selling as the lady down the street with 55 chickens. Her setup is, um, pretty dumpy looking and her idea of raising chickens is one small, dirty pen.

When the girls first started laying to the point where I could share extra eggs, I simply gave them to folks with a little flyer in each carton that said when the girls started being more consistent in egg size and quality then I would begin charging. One man, who had always bought eggs from the woman mentioned above, got a nice carton of mixed colored eggs from me. He was surprised when he opened it to look at them. "You must have washed them for me." I told him no, that that's how I gather them. I took him out to the coop and he literally watched me pick up a couple more eggs from the nests out there. He was impressed with the coop and how clean it was. He came back for another. I was on the town council at the time and he is our public works director so I brought him a carton to every monthly meeting. When I told him, "Okay, John, now I'm going to start charging for them." he didn't hesitate to be put down as my first paying customer and let others know about the eggs from Oleo Acres.

I have a lot of egg producers all around me, so it behooves me to make sure that eggs from my girls are eggs people prefer. I've only had chickens for a year, but I've learned that clean is the secret to more than just healthy chickens. If I pull a dirty egg from a nest, that nest is emptied of bedding and refilled with clean. I mean, no matter how hard we try they still drag stuff into the nests from their feet occasionally! With spring and better egg production just around the corner, I'm awfully glad that I established that steady customer base. I was able to keep my most regular customers in eggs this winter despite the slow down, and those who don't use eggs as much are asking when I'll have more extras to sell again.

7/10 + Scout yesterday.

That is a great way to build a customer base...

I've only got 7 hens myself but they lay on average 4-5 a day... Yesterday was 6. I'm giving them to family and church right now and they give what they can. Even if it's just a babysitting job lol... Once we get the new coop and run built in the following weeks (weather allowing) I'll print up a few flyers and add them to the cartons requesting them to save cartons for refills as well as the possibility of a charge after my girls pick up the pass... Great idea there...

:goodpost:

Try living in a town of 600 where loads of people also have backyard chickens and getting rid of excess eggs. <sigh> Just on my block alone I have my chickens and I have 3 neighbors with larger flocks. But because my setup can be seen from the street and I am able to pull nice, clean eggs from the coop I don't seem to have as much trouble selling as the lady down the street with 55 chickens. Her setup is, um, pretty dumpy looking and her idea of raising chickens is one small, dirty pen.

When the girls first started laying to the point where I could share extra eggs, I simply gave them to folks with a little flyer in each carton that said when the girls started being more consistent in egg size and quality then I would begin charging. One man, who had always bought eggs from the woman mentioned above, got a nice carton of mixed colored eggs from me. He was surprised when he opened it to look at them. "You must have washed them for me." I told him no, that that's how I gather them. I took him out to the coop and he literally watched me pick up a couple more eggs from the nests out there. He was impressed with the coop and how clean it was. He came back for another. I was on the town council at the time and he is our public works director so I brought him a carton to every monthly meeting. When I told him, "Okay, John, now I'm going to start charging for them." he didn't hesitate to be put down as my first paying customer and let others know about the eggs from Oleo Acres.

I have a lot of egg producers all around me, so it behooves me to make sure that eggs from my girls are eggs people prefer. I've only had chickens for a year, but I've learned that clean is the secret to more than just healthy chickens. If I pull a dirty egg from a nest, that nest is emptied of bedding and refilled with clean. I mean, no matter how hard we try they still drag stuff into the nests from their feet occasionally! With spring and better egg production just around the corner, I'm awfully glad that I established that steady customer base. I was able to keep my most regular customers in eggs this winter despite the slow down, and those who don't use eggs as much are asking when I'll have more extras to sell again.

7/10 + Scout yesterday.
When we redo the coop and run, it will be sooo much easier to clean than it is now. Dirty eggs go to the dog. We aren't getting but maybe one dirty one a day I can't sell. Not to say I have many customers cuz I don't. Everyone has gotten chickens here. Even the church doesn't need 'em.

Back
Top Bottom