How Many Eggs Did You Get Today?

Had to move all 14 marans to the hova bator stupid no name alarm kept going off to add water but had a gallon almost still going off was going to drown all them

Will you be able to candle them? I though it was pretty much impossible to see what is going on due to shell colour? I couldn't even see through my blue Araucana eggs so maybe I'm not the best to say anything - I also thought I'd seen viens etc on 4 infertile eggs so just ignore me now that I think about it

Gqf makes a very bright egg lite. In a very dark room you can see air sacks in dark eggs, some times veins.As the eggs get older you can tell if their clear or not. A very Bright small flash lite. Like a Mag lite might work also.
http://www.gqfmfg.com/hova-bator-accessories/9046-cool-lite-tester/

In a very dark room you can see air sacks in dark eggs, some times veins.As the eggs get older you can tell if their clear or not. A very Bright small flash lite. Like a Mag lite might work also.
Thanks. That is the sort of torch we have - my issue was trying to do it outside at dusk under a blanket :lau I was too scared of upsetting Hermione the Warrier Silkie by taking the eggs inside to a dark room(we are in France with shutters so easy to do!) or waiting until dark! It is time to candle my second lot on Saturday (day 8 today - could even do it tonight I guess) and lovely little Doris the Slightly Dim Silkie is much more compliant so I won't worry as much and will take more time and try to do it properly!

I got my first egg from a hen that’s supposed to be a whiting true blue crossed with a black copper Maran. Whatever she is she’s a great tempered bird and I love this egg!

Attachments

• 571592A4-1577-4056-82C0-BDFDE076B2AC.jpeg
    571592A4-1577-4056-82C0-BDFDE076B2AC.jpeg
    294 KB · Views: 5
You need to bite the bullet and stay up until it gets dark ;) Shouldn't be too hard to find the coop since you will be carrying a bright flashlight anyway.
Hahaha! My problem is by the time I get the todzilla to bed, feed the rest of us, lock up the chickens etc I generally collapse in a heap around dark time! I'll try to stay awake enough to do it! Do you think day 8 is OK to check for viability (I only candled once last time - not that it was in anyway successful with my 4 non fertile eggs that I thought I saw happy baby chicks in :lau:lau)?

I got my first egg from a hen that’s supposed to be a whiting true blue crossed with a black copper Maran. Whatever she is she’s a great tempered bird and I love this egg!
Oh wow what a lovely, lovely olive colour! After saying I dont' want a rooster yet I'm actually quite tempted to see if any of my Araucanas turn out to be gentle roosters and I may just be tempted to keep one for making fun eggs!

OK so today was a special day - I managed to get 4.5/3 - how you ask? Well there was the double yoker and then I was raking up the 'henposter' area and found one of Mabels eggs (she always lays those funny non shiny ones down the back of the run :barnie:rolleyes::lol:) - no idea when it is from so wont' be eating that but not a bad haul from 3 layers :lau:lau:lau:lau

Back
Top Bottom