How Many Eggs Did You Get Today?

Hello We've een getting one a day last 4 days, thought it was the Silkies because they're so small. Now I'm thinking the Barred Rocks because of the color. What laid these eggs? All are about 20 weeks 1) Barred Rock 2) Buff Orpington 3) Buff Silkie 4) Silver Laced Wyandotte The white is a large store bought. Any idea?
My BO eggs are that color.

7 Chicken egg's to day
clap.gif

It was nice today only 108 F this morning and no wind till late this evening ......

I see it's time for another segment of Cooking and Carpentry with Felix. Even though I call it a cheese, it isn't really that. It's pretty similar to the Indian paneer.

Home Cheese

2 liters of milk
1 liter of sour milk/butter milk/unflavored yoghurt
2dl creme fraiche/quark/sour cream
2-3 eggs
salt

This can be made with whatever dairy products you've got left in your refrigerator. It's ok if they're a bit expired, as long as the milk carton hasn't gotten to the point where it's elected a parliament and it's greatest thinkers are producing beautiful masterpieces of art. So a bit of culture in there is ok, but not too much. If it's walking around in there, don't use it. If it's green, don't use it. But a few days past the expiry date won't hurt you, especially if it's a fermented product. Also, the measurements are more of a guideline, but you'll want about a 3:2 mixture of unfermented to fermented milk products.

Pour the unfermented dairy products into a large pot. Put some heat under it, and keep stirring it to keep it from burning. At the same time, mix together the eggs and the fermented dairy products. Once you get the milk to the point that it's about to start boiling, pour in the mixture of eggs and fermented products. You can still heat it up for a few minutes after this, but if this stuff starts boiling, you'll have one heck of a mess to clean up as it boils over quickly.

Immediately when you poured the fermented products in, you'll see that the dairy proteins will start separating and you'll have white clumps floating around in whey. After taking the mixture off of the heat, let it rest for 10-15 minutes to assure that the separation process finishes. After that, pour the mix through a tight meshed sieve. The clear whey should go through, leaving most of the clumped mixture in the sieve. Salt the 'cheese' to taste, and let it drain in the fridge over night (although it's good to let it cool down a bit before putting it in there).

The leftover whey can be used in bread dough, or if your not in the mood for baking, it seems to have gotten a heck of a heat going in my compost. Just don't pour it in the compost while it's boiling hot.

Next morning (or late in the evening if you're impatient), you'll have your home cheese ready. It's delicious on top of bread, with a bit of butter underneath, or it can be used in salads. Balsamico, salt and pepper give it a nice taste too. You can also fry this stuff to use as a source of protein in some foods. Or you can just eat it as it is. In our family, we usually make this more often around Christmas, but it's tasty year round.

*Edit* Some people like to mix in stuff at the same time as they're salting it. Black pepper is one way to go, garlic works, herbs can be used, and some people put some chili or similar seasonings in it. I've made it with cajun seasoning once too, turned out pretty nicely.
. What is a dl ? For the 2 dl of sour cream?

Hello We've een getting one a day last 4 days, thought it was the Silkies because they're so small. Now I'm thinking the Barred Rocks because of the color. What laid these eggs? All are about 20 weeks 1) Barred Rock 2) Buff Orpington 3) Buff Silkie 4) Silver Laced Wyandotte The white is a large store bought. Any idea?
Looks like the same ones I just got from my silver laced Wyandotte at 20 weeks

. What is a dl ? For the 2 dl of sour cream?

I'm guessing dollop but that's simply a guess.

Sorry, for you metricly challenged, dl is the abbreviation for deciliter, or one tenth of a liter. About 0.4 cups.

A cup of sour cream will be fine.

I'm fighting the imperial units one recipe at a time. :p

If you make this, let me know how you liked it :)

Sorry, for you metricly challenged, dl is the abbreviation for deciliter, or one tenth of a liter. About 0.4 cups.

A cup of sour cream will be fine.

I'm fighting the imperial units one recipe at a time. :p

If you make this, let me know how you liked it :)

Thanks, I knew I was going to feel stupid for asking...But I really want to try this. LOL.

Back
Top Bottom