How Many Eggs Did You Get Today?

Yeah, it's been an endless supply of corn cobs with some kernels still attached, cucumbers, pea pods with leftover peas, and onions...I dunno about that one.
can you ask them to not throw them over the fence but give them to you instead?
I'd hate for a chicken to have to die because your neighbors are spoiling them!
(most people cull egg eaters because they don't realize it's probably a management problem, and old timers swear the only way to break an egg Eater is to break his/her neck)
Or...maybe you just need more chickens so each hen doesn't get as much junk food lol.

Last edited:
can you ask them to not throw them over the fence but give them to you instead?
I'd hate for a chicken to have to die because your neighbors are spoiling them!
(most people cull egg eaters because they don't realize it's probably a management problem, and old timers swear the only way to break an egg Eater is to break his/her neck)
Or...maybe you just need more chickens so each hen doesn't get as much junk food lol.
Yeah, I'm afraid the hens are loading up on everything, except layer pellets. The turkey starter is because they're molting. They're pastured in our fenced-in yard, so they get what they find/catch.

I'm not really sure what my total is today! 1/5 or possibly 2/5. We went camping this weekend and my neighbor was on chicken duty (we kinda do a co-op). I was pretty sure my BA was going to lay her egg sometime in the afternoon yesterday, she seems to lay 2 mornings, 1 afternoon then takes a day off. But my neighbor said she checked on them early afternoon yesterday and no egg but when she came this morning there was an egg. So at first I just assumed she must have laid her egg later in the day yesterday. But then I went out and checked on them a 2nd time since I've been home and there was an egg. I expected this was my BA's off day so I wasn't expecting to find an egg today. So either I have a 2nd layer or Penguin must have laid 2 eggs in less than 24 hours. They were both the same size and the same color and perfectly shaped with nice shells. Hmmmm! I guess we will see what I get tomorrow and maybe we will have the mystery solved.

I got 7 eggs out of seven laying hens! Still waiting for the five pullets to start laying plus I have two broodies that should be done raising chicks in a couple of weeks. Hoping to get my egg numbers up a bit before winter hits. :)

Back
Top Bottom