How Many Eggs Did You Get Today?

One hundred and something... they keep hiding nests in the long grass (Sussex in particular, ferals lol) so we have a suddenly full egg basket some days, other days its down to hardly any. I think the best layers are my Hamburgs however one of the Hamburgs has gone broody - first broody SSH in four years!
smile.png
My best layer is probably a Platinum Sussex hen who lays 2 double youlkers each week!

I reckon I could feed the whole neighborhood!
tongue.png

7 eggs today. Still none from 1 coop.
The black & white coop (black penedesencas & white leghorns) have been enjoying their free range time. I enclosed a very large portion of land for them. Part wooded and part weeds. However they enjoy going through the fence and roaming all over the woods! They do come back to the coop at night, just not always going IN to the coop! Tonight they all went in, only 1 needed a different door opened for her to go in. I didn't have to grab any of them out of the bushes or off the top of the coop.
celebrate.gif
We have too many raccoons, opossums, skunks, owls and hawks to let them roost outside of the coop. Oh, and recently we've heard coyotes in the area too.

Sounds like you finally got your flock trained, Nice
thumbsup.gif

All really get here is cats, bob cats dogs, fox, coyotes and the wild animals I understand and understand their need for their way of life it's them house animals that really do the most damage and eat what they kill but then the LAW says I cant eat the Vermin I kill in my yard so it makes us even I guess .

Sunday

Amazing I found 8 chicken eggs today
celebrate.gif
But my Molten Houdan ladys haven't produced one egg from the day I turned the incubator on almost two weeks ago .

And 1 duck egg
big_smile.png

Also 1 goose egg with out a shell so that would have come from a goose that was hatched last year .
tongue.png

Temp today in the high 80's with winds of 15 MPH and gusts that shook the dust of the window sills on the inside .
sickbyc.gif

le I was writing this I remembered that I hadn't shut the door on one of the chicken coops so I went out and a fresh chick was making noise behind some boxes so I checked the momma who was sitting on her nest and there were no more eggs under her so I put her on the floor and she just wanted to fight me till one of the chicks came out to greet her then she went behind the boxes and the next thing I got to see was a bunch of eggs come rolling out that she was a pushing out of her way so I laughed and turned out the light and came back in to tell ya all about it .

Grrr...only 32 out of what should be around 60 layers. I've started the process of confining to see who is laying and who isn't.

I'm in Hawaii so no slow down for cooler, shorter days. Thinking I've got some rescued hens who are closer to 3 or 4 years old as oppossed to the 2 years old I was told.

My flock is closing in on 200, need to find a simpler way to figure out who is laying and who isn't in my older hens.

It's 69 degrees at noon 75 expected 80s tomorrow and Wednesday, was 27 Saturday morning 32 Sunday morning. Mid 50s tonight. Wacky weather.
Doesn't affect my girls. 5/5 GC

It's 69 degrees at noon 75 expected 80s tomorrow and Wednesday, was 27 Saturday morning 32 Sunday morning. Mid 50s tonight. Wacky weather.
Doesn't affect my girls. 5/5 GC

It's same here in Ohio, we'd been having whacked out weather like that. I was about to put up the clear tarp around my run but decided to forego since, it's going to be hot (80s) for few days.

Back
Top Bottom