How Many Eggs Did You Get Today?

Got 7 eggs today, and they're about out of layer feed. Need to run to the hardware store and buy a bag tomorrow morning. I'm going to start writing down the date I open each new bag from now on so I will know exactly how much feed they're going through.

I bought the last bag on October 8, but there was still some feed left over from the last bag. So that means they're going through 50# of feed in somewhere between 3 or 4 weeks.

So to estimate, 50# divided by 8 chickens equals 6.25 pounds for each one. Divide 6.25# by 25 days (my best guess) means they're averaging 1/4 pound of food per day each, which I believe is just about where it should be. I'll start keeping better track of things so I know for sure how much they're eating.

So how much are my eggs costing me??? $22 for a bag of feed, probably averaging 6.5 eggs per day. $22 divided by 25 (days) equals 88 cents worth of feed per day, divided by 6.5 (eggs per day)... 13.54 cents per egg, or about $1.63 per dozen. Guess that's not too bad for farm fresh eggs!
Wow I have 30 and I go through that in over a month! I do have mine digging through the barn and some outdoor stuff, so that is taken into account.

Two eggs today. I have more chickens visibly in molt, so I am not surprised by that. lol

They all look so unwell at the moment and I will be very relieved when they are done molting!
There isn't much sadder looking than a molting chicken. And the poor things do it at the worst time of year. 🙄

Back
Top Bottom