How Many Eggs Did You Get Today?

Wow I have 30 and I go through that in over a month! I do have mine digging through the barn and some outdoor stuff, so that is taken into account.
They must sure be finding a lot of food when they're foraging. They're eating less than an ounce of feed each per day! I haven't been letting mine out to scrounge around in the yard much lately. Guess I should let them out more often. LOL

I bought the new bag of feed today, which should keep them happy for the rest of the month.

Oh yeah, I got 6 eggs today.

There isn't much sadder looking than a molting chicken. And the poor things do it at the worst time of year. 🙄

Agreed! They always look so sick, too, especially when they have a heavier molt. I've had so many health issues already that it always gets me worried... before I notice the feathers falling everywhere. They really do have the worst timing for it, too!

Snowball seems to be going slightly earlier this year, though not by much. She started her molt mid-November last year. Squeaky, on the other hand, shows no sign yet. She might end up with no feathers in January again, but I hope not!

All of the ones that didn't do a full molt last year (or didn't even molt at all, possibly) are finally molting, thankfully. It definitely explains why I had so many eggs last year around this same time and now have almost none. lol

Agreed! They always look so sick, too, especially when they have a heavier molt. I've had so many health issues already that it always gets me worried... before I notice the feathers falling everywhere. They really do have the worst timing for it, too!

Snowball seems to be going slightly earlier this year, though not by much. She started her molt mid-November last year. Squeaky, on the other hand, shows no sign yet. She might end up with no feathers in January again, but I hope not!

All of the ones that didn't do a full molt last year (or didn't even molt at all, possibly) are finally molting, thankfully. It definitely explains why I had so many eggs last year around this same time and now have almost none. lol
Do you have any pictures of your molting girls? I recently rehomed a 5 year old whiting blue who has never had a real molt. Just a few feathers here and there. :confused:

Do you have any pictures of your molting girls? I recently rehomed a 5 year old whiting blue who has never had a real molt. Just a few feathers here and there. :confused:

I do have some pictures. I'll see if I can find and post them at some point during this week.

I think I have a picture of Squeaky somewhere, from her molt last year. At one point, she was completely bald on her stomach aside from all the new feathers coming in. I felt so bad for her!

That's so interesting that your Whiting Blue never went into a full molt. I thought all of mine were just molting strangely because they were hatched late in the year (end of September). It does make sense for them to all be different in how they molt, though.

...I have typed the word "molt" so many times in the last hour that it is starting to feel like it isn't a word anymore. lol

I do have some pictures. I'll see if I can find and post them at some point during this week.

I think I have a picture of Squeaky somewhere, from her molt last year. At one point, she was completely bald on her stomach aside from all the new feathers coming in. I felt so bad for her!

That's so interesting that your Whiting Blue never went into a full molt. I thought all of mine were just molting strangely because they were hatched late in the year (end of September). It does make sense for them to all be different in how they molt, though.

...I have typed the word "molt" so many times in the last hour that it is starting to feel like it isn't a word anymore. lol
My phone keeps changing it to melt. Thankfully none of my flock have ever melted. :D

Too funny! I'm definitely glad that they don't melt rather than molt, because that would be far more horrifying!

Some of them sure look as if they are melting at certain points. lol
When they get into a real heavy molt it looks like my yard is filled with chicken shaped hedgehogs :gig

Back
Top Bottom