How many eggs should I expect a week?

Update: Mother Clucker's pelvic bones are 3 fingers apart! (Mother Clucker is my chicken whom this whole thread is about) she is almost 19 weeks old. Has been looking around the coop more. Has eyeballed the nesting boxes and a few corners of the coop. She did lay down in the coop a couple of times if that means anything. Mother Clucker is squatting at almost anything now.

She'll probably let you know when she lays with the egg song, oh trust me she will want to let the world know! When they start squatting it's a sign they are getting ready, and you may see them in there for a day or two poking around, or sitting around testing the waters and then they'll start to lay. I know it's rough, waiting for the first egg, and it's hard to tell who's more excited about it YOU or HER !!

It'll come with time, the first few weeks the eggs may be erratic or goofy, but she'll get into her rhythm and hopefully be with you for many years serving up breakfast on an almost daily basis.

Aaron

Well thats good then, give her a few weeks to get the whole thing figured out and you two should be all set.
Do know that around a year of age or so, they might want to go broody, that varies widely by species, and can enter a molt too, where they shed feathers for new ones, and many will stop laying during the molt time. i had one take a few weeks, and another a few months, again it vary's by species / bird.

Aaron

She may already be laying.
Do you free range?
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop/run for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.
I free range and I’ve been finding eggs in the nest box. Is it possible some of my other girls are going else where? I only think maybe at max 2 are ready.
One is for sure laying as we find her in the box in the mornings and then an egg these shortly after she leaves.
But is it possible another is laying elsewhere?
We’ve had an egg every single day for 13 days now we’ve just assumed it’s been from a single pullet is it possible 2 are laying?

I have 3 BO's and they are 18 weeks old. How many eggs should I expect a week?

Also, I haven't seen them go into the nesting boxes once by themselves. So when should I expect the ladies go and try out the nesting boxes? I have fake eggs in the boxes but they still show no interest yet.
I have 8 BO’s they are 21 weeks old and only 3 are laying so far. We are getting eggs every other day from the 3 that are laying. We have ceramic eggs in the nest boxes and they show no interest in laying there either. The first eggs from each we found in the run. Now they have been laying on the coop floor. I put the eggs in the nest boxes and they take their beaks and move the ceramic eggs onto the floor and lay next to the ceramic eggs.

Back
Top Bottom