How many here are actual backyarders vs. Farmers?

back yarder for sure. 5 acres with 1/2 acre of garden for fam and the rest to cultivate the rest of the wildlife to be harvested come october
wink.png

I am very definitely a "backyarder". I live in an area that does permit us to have six hens but unfortunately no roos. I live on Long Island, New York, in Patchogue where property is wic.kedly expensive and the taxes are the highest in the country. I have only 1/3 of an acre, but it is slowly becoming dominated by composting, organic gardening and of course, chickens. I live in the house built by my maternal grandfather in 1919

This is my first post, but certainly not the first time I have been on the BYC blog just spending HOURS reading and learning! I'm addicted to this site.
lol.png
I have already met a great contact (poster "Entwife in the Bluegrass" Laura) regarding Buckeye Chickens. I had a burning question about the way my new chicks were feathering out, found her farm's e-mail address and wrote to her with a photo. Within an hour she gave a very reassuring response! I am very thankful that there is such a mixture of farm people, breeders, and people who show chickens because it is tremendously helpful to us neophytes.

We are both? Ten acres, lots of domesticated pets, our city friends think we have a farm, our country farmer friends think we are "cute" in our efforts at being farmers. So, I guess we think of ourselves as a backfarmyardy kind of family.
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom