How many of you are afraid of going to the feed store because....

Are you afraid of going to the feed store b/c you might buy chicks?

• Yes- I might buy more chicks. Oh dear!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No- I have the will power to resist!!!!!!!!!!!!

• I will buy chicks with a clear conscience, thank you!

• Total voters
My first batch came from the feed store. Of the 7 assorted "pullets" I bought, 4 turned out to be roos and had to be rehomed. I think I'll be able to pass. Of course I will stop and love a few.

Fortunately, neither of the two places I usually buy feed sell chicks. Have to go to the hardware store for them, or to TSC, some 30 miles away. (Well, the hardware store sells feed, too, just not the kind I want.)

The TSC's around here don't get chicks until the week before Easter and I will have hatched plenty of my own by then so I think I will be good this year
smile.png
Last year I was weak
roll.png

Quote:
Ohh Black Australorps!!!! they are my weekness! So pretty.......hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Hey hunny I gotta go to the Rural King store toworrow!!!!!!! We will have to hold the natives back from buying another 20 chicks.
wee.gif
:weee:weee:weee

Mountainman will prettend to me grumpy and say get what you want.
love.gif

I love black Australorps. they are the best layer. Love those double yolkers.
tongue2.gif

Boy every time I go to the feed store and see those chicks I think the last time I bought one of thier white rock chicks. Put him in the glove compartment of my 67 volks wagon and brought him home to my brooder box and raised him with my white rock large fowl from Calif. He was the biggest white rock chick I ever saw. He must of came from a 3 oz egg. rasied him up and he looked like a white rock cornish cross. One day in Aug I found him dead on the ground. They told me these birds can not take the heat down hear and you need to put them in the deep freez befor it gets to hot. He was a mistake when they shiped the chicks to the feed store.

So much for that and buy chicks from the feed store. If I want a breed of chickens I buy from a breeder. Buy the way do you know a lady named Cherrle Jennings that lives above Seatttle that has Black Jersey Giants? I was told today from a friend of mine from Centralia that she had good ones. If any of the Washington folks read this send me a a personel message who Mrs. Jennings is with the Black Jersey Giants. I have some folks who want some of her birds. They are so much better than anything you could get from a feed store. They are the real McCoys. bob

I am a sucker for those cute little chicks. I have gotten some nice friendly chicks there and I know that they are not show-type birds, I just like the eggs and watching the chickens interact with each other. It is hard to not just get 6 more. Luckily here in Western, NY, they are only around at Easter-time and for a few weeks afterwards. The bantam bin is very difficult to pass by because they are soooo cute. I have a husband who says, honey, we have enough at home. When is enough, enough? Oh yeah, winter time comes and then you realize how many you should have. Though, one year, I went to one Tractor Supply and got 6 while he went to another and got 6 - oops. We ended up selling 6 to a neighbor who wanted to try raising them.

Neither of the places I buy feed at have chicks in the store. The farm and fleet (where we get the chicken stuff) does have "chick days," but you place an order with them and they place a huge order with a hatchery. Then when they come in you need to come get them that day. They're willing to look after them for the day, if you can't get in that morning, but not really any longer than that. The feed store (where we get the dog and cat stuff) doesn't even sell chicks. And the Rural King that does have chicks (and is responsible for kicking off the whole chicken-keeping shebang last year, although we didn't buy any from them) seems to require a minimum purchase of 25 (? if I wanted that many chicks I'd order straight from the hatchery) and they only have them for a month or two right around Easter.

Now when we go to the Crossroads national in IN this fall, that's when we might be in trouble. It's dangerous to have that many beautiful chickens so close to home
wink.png

I told myself I'd get a few Spring chicks every year but when I went to the feed store last year I was disappointed in the selection. Cornish X, RSL, BSL and BR were about all they had. They had one pen with a few GLW and SS in it, straight run, and I did end up getting one of each, a BSL and a Cornish X. But DD has wanted EE's since she first heard of the colored eggs and NONE of the stores near here had any
sad.png

Just before Christmas DH and I built an incubator and now have chicks in the brooder from our first hatch. I enjoyed that experience so much that I'm not inclined to buy any Spring chicks this year - unless I can get a couple of EE's for DD.

I am not much on impulse buying, especially when it comes to critters! I may go back to the same feed store numerous times to look at the chicks & try to decide if I want any of them, then still not buy any.

Back
Top Bottom