How many of you breed to pay for your flocks care?

NYRIR

Crowing
13 Years
May 13, 2010
Petersburg,NY
I'm wondering how many of you breed to help cut the costs of raising your flocks. I currently am raising geese, turkeys, ducks and chickens to try and pay for my HUGE hobby!
I also like to offer folks a few hens at a time so they don't have to purchase 15-25 at a time.
So, what do you raise and sell? How many breeders of each do you keep to meet your goals? How many offspring do you sell on average per year?
I'll start,
1.I will be raising Narragansett turkeys for meat and to sell (if my hens ever lay
hmm.png
)I have 2 Toms and 4 Hens
2.I will be raising Toulouse geese to sell and for meat.I have a pair.
3.I will be raising Ancona ducks to sell.Right now I have a trio.
4.I will be breeding BLRW's(not sure how many I will keep yet), Bantam Blue Cochins(2 Roos and 10 hens), and Silkies (not sure what colors yet)
5.I also sell eggs for hatching and for eating!

I have only just started selling so i don't have numbers yet,but around here pullets go quick of any breed!
Thought it might be interesting to see how people pay for their addiction ..

Looking forward to the replies!

Most of my chicken money is coming from hatching eggs right now, though I do sell eating eggs occasionally. Usually I'll sell a few layers in the fall, but my demand for hatching egg is so high, I don't think I'll be doing that this year. I also got a tom for my turkey hen, so I'm hoping to sell some poults (if my hen ever lays, we're in the same boat there), and Thanksgiving dinners. Here's what I have right now:
1 tom, 1 hen (mixed breed, wild type turks)
Cochins, 2 roos, 12 hens
EEs, 6 hens which are mixing with my Cochin boys, I'm considering getting them their own roo.

I don't make a ton of money by any means, but I'm able to pay for my feed- so that's a plus. Plus, I have a few friends with bators that help feed my chick addiction (I give them eggs so they can hatch them, then I get half of the chicks for supplying the eggs). Good luck with your breeding plans!

Wow, that's great you can pay your feed.That's where I want to be....
Good luck with your Tom and hen....I MIGHT have gotten a small turkey egg today...not 100% sure yet....we'll see!

I'm sold out on Ducks until end of April, eggs and all. Doing so well we switched from commercial feed to non-GMO natural feed and no one was phased by the price change!

I havent quite yet but I plan on breeding cross breed chickens for selling, along with ducks and turkeys (not sure what breeds) since we're in a small town no one cares if they have pure breeds. I plan on selling eggs, and chicks. We're only planning on having like 10 chickens (lets see how THAT works out) and 4 ducks (hoping for a drake) and like 2 turkeys, sadly those are BB so cant breed so planning on getting (next year) royal plams or narragansets. That and when we order chickens we sell them for like 4$ so we have like a 50cent income LOL

I havent quite yet but I plan on breeding cross breed chickens for selling, along with ducks and turkeys (not sure what breeds) since we're in a small town no one cares if they have pure breeds. I plan on selling eggs, and chicks. We're only planning on having like 10 chickens (lets see how THAT works out) and 4 ducks (hoping for a drake) and like 2 turkeys, sadly those are BB so cant breed so planning on getting (next year) royal plams or narragansets. That and when we order chickens we sell them for like 4$ so we have like a 50cent income LOL

I think 95% of people care that they are purebreds or at least know what they have in them.

Back
Top Bottom