How many roosters can live together?

EIEIO_farm

Songster
Jun 3, 2018
Hi! I currently have four roosters and eight hens. Three of the hens are silkies and they are tiny little girls. The roosters seem to become aggressive toward each other and the hens and literally fight over them! Some of my hens have sores on their necks and missing feathers. My silkies get picked on the worst because their not quite as good at escaping the roosters. They barely even want to come out and eat anymore because they’re afraid of the roosters. I can’t separate them because they all share a large coop and fenced yard. Sometimes they even get pissed at me when I go and pick up my girls, but I definitely show them I’m the boss! Should I try to rehome a couple roosters? I do wish I could keep all of them but I do not want my girls hurt because they’re competing. ☹️

Without hens, you can house as many roosters as you like in one place. With hens, depending on if you are show breeding or not, I would do 6-10 hens per roo

Get rid of those roosters or make them a separate pen away from the hens.

They can literally kill those silkies by overbreeding them.
Yeah I’ve been keeping the coop shut with the silkies inside, I’m definitely going to get rid of at least 2 probably 3 roosters!

Without hens, you can house as many roosters as you like in one place. With hens, depending on if you are show breeding or not, I would do 6-10 hens per roo
Okay thanks! I have a friend who has one rooster and he offered to take three of ours, but he has no hens. So that would be ok? They wouldn’t fight each other? He has a ranch and would let them free range.

Okay thanks! I have a friend who has one rooster and he offered to take three of ours, but he has no hens. So that would be ok? They wouldn’t fight each other? He has a ranch and would let them free range.
They would be perfectly okay. I housed 25 roosters together without hens and I never had fights

Back
Top Bottom