How much "bigger" are Texas A&M Jumbos?

dianneS

Songster
Mar 16, 2009
South Central PA
I have a bunch of white quail that I hatched. I was told that the eggs were from Texas A&M jumbo birds.

I also have a few standard brown coturnix that I hatched from Stromberg's eggs.

The white ones frankly aren't any bigger than the brown?

I saw some "Jumbo" hatching eggs for sale on ebay recently and unless it's trick photography, holy cow! Those eggs are HUGE! :eek: None of mine lay eggs that big.

So do I have Jumbos, or just white quail???

Most standard coturnix quail get to about 8oz. The Jumbos are 10oz or more. As chicks you really can't tell which ones will be jumbos and which ones will be standard size. The jumbos do grow a little faster and you will see the difference at about 2 to 3 weeks. But you will not get all jumbos from the jumbo eggs only about half carry the jumbo gene (that I've noticed from my hatches). The texas A&M are also more aggressive than the standard or the jumbos browns from what I have noticed. Here is a good video that shows the difference at the end.

The breeders stock "may have been" jumbo at one time, but without selective breeding, the trait that produces the jumbo quail was lost.

Most standard coturnix quail get to about 8oz. The Jumbos are 10oz or more. As chicks you really can't tell which ones will be jumbos and which ones will be standard size. The jumbos do grow a little faster and you will see the difference at about 2 to 3 weeks. But you will not get all jumbos from the jumbo eggs only about half carry the jumbo gene (that I've noticed from my hatches). The texas A&M are also more aggressive than the standard or the jumbos browns from what I have noticed. Here is a good video that shows the difference at the end.

Great video!
I definitely do not have any jumbos. My birds, nor eggs are that big.

I hear jumbo quail can't be kept on wire, even coated wire because their added weight puts extra pressure on their feet and cuts them up leading to infection/bumblefoot. I also hear regular sized coturnix quail of having this problem but not as bad.

I don't have experience with it as mine are either on the earth or newspaper with wood shavings on top but thought I should mention in case people with jumbos are having issues keeping them on wire :eek:

I hear jumbo quail can't be kept on wire, even coated wire because their added weight puts extra pressure on their feet and cuts them up leading to infection/bumblefoot. I also hear regular sized coturnix quail of having this problem but not as bad.

I don't have experience with it as mine are either on the earth or newspaper with wood shavings on top but thought I should mention in case people with jumbos are having issues keeping them on wire :eek:

This can happen to any of them kept on wire. You need to keep some wood or something solid for them to get off the wire some. I like the solid floors cages better. I have both and I'm getting away from the wire. Its more work keeping the solid floor cages clean but I dont have to worry about bumblefoot. After you have delt with it a few times you will start thanking about getting solid floor cages. But I know some people that have no issues with the wire bottem cages.

My quail are in an aviary so I don't have to worry about the foot issues.
Maybe I should try some jumbos, since I thought I was going to have some to begin with!

Can you keep standard and jumbo together or will the big ones pick on the little ones?

Back
Top Bottom