How Much Diatomaceous Earth To Use

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Booswalia, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Booswalia

Booswalia Chillin' With My Peeps

I spelled out diatomaceous earth in the subject line because the search engine won't look for two letter words plus I think some people may not know what DE is.

Anyway... my question.

I have a 4' x 4' foot coop with a vinyl floor and about 3 inches of wood shavings in the bottom. How much DE should I use to keep it dry, odorless, and flyless? It's very expensive here and I certainly don't want to be wasting it. $23 for 2.2 lbs, although I bought 3 jugs of it at last year's price of $17. Can't believe they raised the price that much in one year. 33% Wow!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
  2. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

I would say 2 cups when putting in new bedding, and about 1 cup when you sprinkle around the perimeter and treat doorways- food grade of course

3. Booswalia

That seems like a lot.

4. tothemoon

tothemoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Texas
    I buy my DE from this site.....http://www.shadowridgedonkeys.com/ds_pg_cart.htm.

I just sprinkle a fine layer on top of the shavings when I change the pens. I like to make sure the chickens are in the pens so I can get them with the DE while im at it. I havent had any problems with any lil crawly critters. I will say that DE takes a few days to work on ants, especially fire ants. Several applications to the mound is neccessary.

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Quote:I know prices will vary based on location, but I would try garden nurserys and other places...that sounds $$$$PRICEY!!! I was thinking $11 for 4 pounds sounded high here and was going to shop around for a cheaper supply.

6. Booswalia

Does anyone know of an online supplier in Canada?

7. GwenDellAnno

GwenDellAnno Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2009
    Water Valley, AB
    I would try the place where you buy your livestock feed and bedding... (ie. where did you get your wood shavings from?). I got a bag at the F/S Coop here in Hanover, ON (yes Canada) for $35 for a 50lb bag. I'd also try the TSC... or wherever you get your livestock feed.

8. Stonebriar Farm

Stonebriar Farm Out Of The Brooder

I just found out that Maple syrup suppliers carry Diatomaceous Earth for use in filtering. Atckinson's has it by mail order for around $35 CAD. Hope this helps any Canadians having trouble finding it.

9. Seeing Silkies

Seeing Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Columbia TN
    Ebay might be worth a look. I am in th us but i bought a 10 pound bag & with the shipping it was around $20.00 off of ebay. There are a few out of us sellers to.

10. Cargo

Cargo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Farmington, NM
    Don't forget to look at other things like Stall Dry. It is just a mixture of DE and Clay. Works great as well.
    My local feed store has them side by side in 40lb. bags for about $10 USD.

Looks like in Canada they may call it Barn Fresh or Red Lake Earth.
    Your local feed store really should have bags of something along these lines.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by