How much do you charge per dozen? And location

Location is a factor in some places, charging more than the market will bear can be unrealistic.
Absolutely agree. State to state, town to town matters. MI res here. The accessibility of product speaking in terms of vendor selection in Ann Arbor or Lansing (wealthy) is dramatically different compared to anything North of Gaylord, and more so in the UP. In my area of UP eggs at the local co-op are about $7 for free range certified organic, $8/dz if fertile (that must be the new thing for ppl?) Walmart is 3.88/dz today but shelves are empty!
The co-op shelves are stocked. Why? Bc this is rural UP Michigan with highest state rate of un-underemployment, elderly on SS fixed income or welfare. Independent co-op does not take EBT (welfare) card. Consumers can’t afford $7 eggs and buy all the other necessities for their families. We are 20-25k below the MI ave household income (62k in 2021 census) yet pay the highest in fuel and utilities. Ppl here make a day of it to go to town with larger stores like Walmart or grocery once a week and stock up. Ppl live out of the ‘city’ bc housing and taxes is less, but then have to drive 20+(or++) miles to work, shop etc. If I want milk or run out of TP I travel 15 miles to a gas station. Walmart or Meijers is 45 miles. The UP situation is not unique compared to the rest of the nation, but when considering the present economy local people can’t afford $7-8 eggs eggs, much less 3.88 at Wally world, when putting gas in a 2010 trailblazer 20 miles at $3.65/gal gas and still heat their homes or cloth their kids. Food pantries are begging for donations.
Price must meet consumer ability to pay, and that price point varies greatly based on location.

I can understand that argument you are making on the prices coming under store prices, but the rest of your post about ‘ to allow us to continue to love what we do’, lack of proper nutrition by only foraging, and assuming malnutrition because a person isn’t charging a premium in order to pay for feed, and implying neglect in care makes an assumption toward all hobbyists who adore their flocks and care for them just as much as the folks who sell commercially on a small scale.
I charge $3/dz and often give eggs away to family and friends; I assure you my small flock is treated better than some people treat their children. Why do I sell cheap or give eggs for free? Because it makes people happy to be able to even get eggs when store shelves are bare and all staples are double in price. If I sell enough to pay for one bag of feed then I am satisfied, but if not I don’t mind..it’s a hobby not a career.
Sorry to come down on you— it’s not personal, and I respect your opinion, but I disagree with the blanket assumptions implying inferiority toward those whom you see as competition.
Not trying to assume inferiority towards those I see as competition. Also not trying to condemn anyone who doesn't manage their chickens like I do. As long as folks are ensuring their chickens are well cared for, good chicken management can look a lot of different ways.

There's some folks in my area that don't (in my opinion) take good care of their chickens, but continue to benefit from their eggs and meat, and that's what I was thinking about when writing my post.

I can understand that argument you are making on the prices coming under store prices, but the rest of your post about ‘ to allow us to continue to love what we do’, lack of proper nutrition by only foraging, and assuming malnutrition because a person isn’t charging a premium in order to pay for feed, and implying neglect in care makes an assumption toward all hobbyists who adore their flocks and care for them just as much as the folks who sell commercially on a small scale.
I charge $3/dz and often give eggs away to family and friends; I assure you my small flock is treated better than some people treat their children. Why do I sell cheap or give eggs for free? Because it makes people happy to be able to even get eggs when store shelves are bare and all staples are double in price. If I sell enough to pay for one bag of feed then I am satisfied, but if not I don’t mind..it’s a hobby not a career.
Sorry to come down on you— it’s not personal, and I respect your opinion, but I disagree with the blanket assumptions implying inferiority toward those whom you see as competition.
This was a very nice way to put it. And i totally agree with you.

Some people (no disrespect) have to learn and be okay with the fact that some of us do this as a hobby. As myself, I plan on selling eggs simply “just because”. I have 5 chickens, who eat a crap ton, but Im simply doing it because i fill a carton every 2 days give or take. I only have 3-4 people (family) that get a carton of eggs when we have them. We do a rotation through those people too. So if one carton lasts them 1-2 weeks, then I have extra eggs. I don’t want my eggs to go to waste so why not sell them.

We “hobbyists” aren’t trying to take the business away from people that sell eggs as their sole income. But to downgrade someone because they sell their eggs for $2-$3 isn’t right either.

Not everyone uses egg money as their sole income. Say I sold 8 cartons of eggs at $3 each carton, that money would cover 1 $23 bag of feed.

Or another way people do it is a barter. For instance “if you buy one bag of feed for me, I will give you 6 cartons of eggs”. Or “if you buy a bag of meal worms, I’ll give you 2 cartons of eggs”.

For some of us again, it isn’t about the money. Just sharing our hobby with the rest of the people. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Im in Ky and I recently raised my price to 5 dollars. I only have 9 girls and had to slow down the demand. I have one customer that sells cakes and swears by my girls eggs.

I'm not a grocery store. My girls are very happy and well cared for. That's what they are paying for. Not just a dozen eggs.
Couldn’t have said it any better!

This was a very nice way to put it. And i totally agree with you.

Some people (no disrespect) have to learn and be okay with the fact that some of us do this as a hobby. As myself, I plan on selling eggs simply “just because”. I have 5 chickens, who eat a crap ton, but Im simply doing it because i fill a carton every 2 days give or take. I only have 3-4 people (family) that get a carton of eggs when we have them. We do a rotation through those people too. So if one carton lasts them 1-2 weeks, then I have extra eggs. I don’t want my eggs to go to waste so why not sell them.

We “hobbyists” aren’t trying to take the business away from people that sell eggs as their sole income. But to downgrade someone because they sell their eggs for $2-$3 isn’t right either.

Not everyone uses egg money as their sole income. Say I sold 8 cartons of eggs at $3 each carton, that money would cover 1 $23 bag of feed.

Or another way people do it is a barter. For instance “if you buy one bag of feed for me, I will give you 6 cartons of eggs”. Or “if you buy a bag of meal worms, I’ll give you 2 cartons of eggs”.

For some of us again, it isn’t about the money. Just sharing our hobby with the rest of the people. 🤷🏼‍♀️
Yes. I have a bartering agreement with a friend. Eggs for maple syrup or honey. Good trade IMO.

See!! I knew someone would come forward and confirm that for me!
lol. My neighbors and I have an arrangement for beef- they have chickens so don’t need eggs, but they lack pasture for 3 beef cattle. I have a lush pasture they use, so they gift us some beef—and I get to keep their fertilizer, too. Winner winner beef steak dinner :thumbsup

lol. My neighbors and I have an arrangement for beef- they have chickens so don’t need eggs, but they lack pasture for 3 beef cattle. I have a lush pasture they use, so they gift use some beef—and I get to keep their fertilizer, too. Winner winner beef steak dinner :thumbsup
LUCKYYYY. Nothing like some fresh beef!!! Hopefully the smell of hamburgers doesn’t waft over to their yard 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Back
Top Bottom