How much time do your chickens spend in the coop?

Bear4boo

Songster
Jun 10, 2022
Midwest
I’m wondering how much time your chickens spend in the coop during the day?
It was my understanding that coops are primarily for night/sleep, egg laying and bad weather/protection but I had someone tell me that they keep food and treats in the coop as well as the run as her chickens use both throughout the day. I’d love to know how often your chickens are in their coop and what you keep for them inside.

I have two covered shelters in my run, with roosts, and multiple feed dishes set up so that while eating at one dish, cannot see birds eating at another dish. I try and only put out enough feed for the day. Food and water are in the run.

I seldom see birds inside the coop unless they are laying. Occasionally in a truly bad storm, such as a winter blizzard, they will stay in the coop, but not often.

Mrs K

My chickens pile out of their coop first thing in the morning, then at 6 ish I take them wet mash, which they eat while I scoop the poo and do a 360 around the run to check things out. Then I open the other pop door and the human door, so they're sort of in and out all day. In the heat of the day, they take naps in the coop, and then come out again when the shade is over them again. :)

They're only two months old, so I don't know what they'll do later. :)

another ‘define coop’ situation. I leave the pop door open to a large covered run. Some birds rarely like to sleep in the run on warmer evenings, but mostly they sleep in the coop and hang out in the run during the day until they see me coming. I work before sunrise so when I get home in the evening they free range until dusk then go to run/coop on their own.

Mine spend very little time in the coop in the day, mostly just inside to lay, though I do keep my dry feeder in there (plus grit and oyster shell) so they'll pop in to eat and then back out again.

That said, I've had to lock them in the coop before due to flooding, and if there's snow they don't want to come out at all. So during times like that, that's when having a decent sized coop pays off.

Back
Top Bottom