how much to charge for eggs?

I sell mine for $4 a dozen, $2.50 for a half-dozen. I, too, only have a small flock. I could sell many more - but I only get about 5 or 6 extra dozen per week. I could charge more - but my prices are in line with what eggs sell for at our local farmers' market. We donate all the money we get from eggs to our granddaughter's childhood cancer research endowment at our local children's hospital. Every little bit counts.

Our eggs are varied both in color and size - and each carton contains different colors and different sizes. I use the clear plastic cartons so the pretty colors can be seen immediately. I don't want to get into separating the eggs by size or color.
wink.png

Assuming you want to make a profit and not just break even, there is always the LITTLE KNOWN, "Fibonacci Ratio." It has been used for centuries by the few who understand it.
For eggs, it is very simple to use. Just determine your total cost per dozen eggs produced, and multiply by 1.618.

Thats it. 1.618. Easy as pie.

This will give you an assured profit, taking into account all factors for you. No more worrying about the vagaries of your market, or other unknowns. The mystery is lifted.

It's the Holy Grail of egg pricing.

I wash our eggs and weigh them on a little cheapo digital postal scale. After the eggs that we use and give to family and friends, my wife sells about 8-10 dozen brown eggs per week at her work.

Small/Medium (under 56 grams) $1.50 per doz.
Large (56-63 grams) $2.00 per doz.
XL/Jumbo (over 63 grams) $2.50 per doz.

I see adds on Craigslist in this area (Northern Michigan) usually in the 2-3 dollar range.

Friends, family, and customers have provided us with plenty of empty cartons.

My customers are getting a sweet deal. $2.00 doz. for large eggs, different shades of brown, and at least 1 large blue egg in the carton, usually. My hens free range but I don't feed them organic feed or treats.

I had to laugh, a customer brought me some egg cartons, on them it said "From vegetarian chickens kept with roosters" $4.50 doz.
They're charging more for that? I didn't think chickens wanted to be vegetarinas...My chickens definately are not vegetarians! lol! And I can't tell which eggs are fertilized and which aren't....?
I guess the bottome line is, they're worth what someones willing to pay. I might try the "What will you give me" route.

My customers are getting a sweet deal. $2.00 doz. for large eggs, different shades of brown, and at least 1 large blue egg in the carton, usually. My hens free range but I don't feed them organic feed or treats.

I had to laugh, a customer brought me some egg cartons, on them it said "From vegetarian chickens kept with roosters" $4.50 doz.
They're charging more for that? I didn't think chickens wanted to be vegetarinas...My chickens definately are not vegetarians! lol! And I can't tell which eggs are fertilized and which aren't....?
I guess the bottome line is, they're worth what someones willing to pay. I might try the "What will you give me" route.
That is a steal, @ $2 a dozen. Go with 'Country Fresh Eggs, Wholesome and Delicious'... and charge $4!

i charge $2.50 a dozen for medium,and large, . i was at the store today and saw they were selling large brown cage free for $3.69 a dozen so i would say my fresh backyard cage free white and brown eggs are a steal for 2.50 a dozen.

Last edited:
Kroger's in Houston was selling a dozen organic eggs for $5. Mine are just free range and I sell my eggs for $3 a doz or $4 for 18 count. I can't keep up with the demands from family, friends and friends of friends. I'll have to get more chickens. I don't sort by size. Most are about the same size.

:(
Kroger's in Houston was selling a dozen organic eggs for $5. Mine are just free range and I sell my eggs for $3 a doz or $4 for 18 count. I can't keep up with the demands from family, friends and friends of friends. I'll have to get more chickens. I don't sort by size. Most are about the same size.
This is the right idea, .to out compete your market. "Know what the market will bear," is often heard. Then, you can price at our slightly below to generate volume. What we still dont know, however, is whether your production costs allow you to be profitable.

Back
Top Bottom