how much to charge for point of lay pullets?

sdshoars

Songster
11 Years
May 12, 2008
Texas
i ordered a whole bunch of chicks from ideal, they are about 17 weeks old, and i unfortunately have to sell them because i am moving. where we are moving to is already covered in snow (well, almost) and we wouldn't have a way to build a coop until the spring, so we are going to sell them and get more chicks next spring.

anyways- how much do i charge for the pullets? and i have four hens who are a year and a half old, how much do i charge for them? i don't want to overcharge for them, but i have no idea what a good price for them would be. thanks for your help!

Here in AZ pullets that age are in the range of 10-15. For the ones that are already laying, they are charging 15-25 depending on how well they lay. good luck finding them homes! If I were closer I'd take some!
smile.png

check your local craigslist.org to see the going rate for hens in your area. Depends on the breed, too. Silkies sell for more than RIR in our area. Good luck!!!

Colby in KY

I would think that if you make arrangements with the post office and get the boxes, you could sell them fast to anyone in the US. Why don't you check what the hatcheries want for started pullets and go with that and post an ad online?

i THINK the count goes like this-

5 BO- one is a roo
5- NHR
4- Speckled Sussex
4- EE

the older hens are 1 mutt, 1 BR, 1 GLW, and 1 SLW.

isn't it outrageously expensive to ship birds though?

I spent between $6 and $9 on feed alone last year to get a pullet to point of lay. The ones that came in first were the $6 pullets, the laggards were eating like the big girls they are and ate another $3 in feed before they began to pay for their room and board.

My Black Australorps and Barred Rocks chicks come from the feed store so they only cost $2 each.

That means $8 to $11 for each pullet, just to break even.

Steve

They are hatchery stock. Get what you can. They are not worth much regardless of what breed they are supposed to be.

I'd suggest giving them away: maybe to a 4-H or FFA kid.

You CANNOT add your feed cost up to come up with a price. If that was the way it were done we'd all have to sell our birds for huge amounts!
saladin

But depending on the locality, we can get a huge price. And with the internet, we aren't so very limited. Look.....a hatchery would probably get about 20 a bird......Then there would be shipping added. I wouldn't be desparate. You might even have a friend that wouldn't mind babysitting your birds for a year in a large dog pen, until you can get set up. Or you can find out if there is an auction you can go to. A poster on the side of the road might help. A lot of people are going back to basics now.....its the 'in' thing. You don't have to short change yourself. Go to the 'where I am...where are you' section and PM everyone in your area of your concern and ask them if they know anyone that would be interested in started pullets.

Back
Top Bottom