How much water does a chicken need each day?

HayleyBeth!

In the Brooder
Aug 8, 2017
I having trouble keeping my waterer level so the water drains in about 5 minutes. So I want to use a small waterer that won't drain out - but I'm not sure if I need two for my 4 chickens...

It depends on the time of year and what food they are being fed. If you are feeding wet food/fermented food then they don't need as much as if they are on dry feed. A full grown chicken on dry food will drink around half a litre in cool weather and 1 litre in hot weather. So that's 1-2 pints depending on the ambient temperature.

:welcome:celebrate

Chickens need access to water at all times, just like dogs and cats do. I would suggest finding a new watering system if your current one leaves them without water. You can find nipple waterers everywhere, or gets some nipples and creating a waterer yourself.

Good Luck!!

PS. @KikisGirls may be along to post a video for ya!

Make a horizontal nipple waterer. (Amazon for the nipples) I don't know how much space you have but you can use pitchers, buckets, barrels... to make one. Here's two I made.

20170423_140822.jpg 20170422_105015.jpg

Agreed with above posters. Can you hang that waterer so it will stay level? If the birds are adults, you can even give them a bucket. Just be sure the bail is adjusted so they can't get their necks caught in it. Especially in the summer months, I like to have 2 water sources, so that if one of them should be defective, they have an other source. Never skimp on doing what ever it takes to see to it that they have water at all times.

Back
Top Bottom