How much water

just wondering how much water chickens should drink per day, I have 12 birds and am using a 5 gallon pail with 5 horizontal nipples near the bottom of it, it takes a week for them to go thru the 5 gal. I’ve read that the normal is .5 of a litre, that would equal 6 litres per day but I am not going near that much, what are the thoughts out there on this ?

I have 10 birds, 15 weeks old, and they go through a 3 gallon waterer in the coop in about 10 days. But I also have a rubber feed pan with water in it out in the chicken run, and they drink from that too. Our temps have been in the 70F-80F, so not too hot. As long as they have water available, I don't worry.

just wondering how much water chickens should drink per day, I have 12 birds and am using a 5 gallon pail with 5 horizontal nipples near the bottom of it, it takes a week for them to go thru the 5 gal. I’ve read that the normal is .5 of a litre, that would equal 6 litres per day but I am not going near that much, what are the thoughts out there on this ?
The best approach is to never let them run out of water rather than try to put a volume per bird on it. A Jersey Giant in 90+ F temps will probably drink 5 times what a Serama in 40F temps will. That's why the question as stated is the wrong one.
The temperature, size of bird and moisture content of food will cause water intake to vary dramatically.

The best approach is to never let them run out of water rather than try to put a volume per bird on it. ... That's why the question as stated is the wrong one.

I took the OP's question as a concern that his birds may not have been drinking enough from the nipple waterer and was concerned for the health of his birds. I don't use nipple waterers, so I don't worry about the malfunctioning of the nipples and/or birds not using them properly. I still use the open double walled metal waterer system that I have used for 30 years.

I do 100% agree with your statement that "The best approach is to never let them run out of water rather than try to put a volume per bird on it."

I took the OP's question as a concern that his birds may not have been drinking enough from the nipple waterer and was concerned for the health of his birds. I don't use nipple waterers, so I don't worry about the malfunctioning of the nipples and/or birds not using them properly. I still use the open double walled metal waterer system that I have used for 30 years.

I do 100% agree with your statement that "The best approach is to never let them run out of water rather than try to put a volume per bird on it."
I wondered about that. I've used all sorts of nipples and drinker cups. It is important to check daily that they are functioning. It may not hurt to put out a fount from time to time and see how aggressively they go after the free flowing water. Do so later in the day after they have had ample opportunity to use the nipples. First thing in the morning they are always thirsty.

Is there a puddle of water under the waterer? (More than little splashes or drips that would be expected)
If not, then just continue giving the chickens as much water as they need (they aren't going to drink more tax what the weather, health, growth, etc calls for).

oh- looks like I misunderstood: you are concerned they aren't drinking enough rather than too much. Of course. Could be they don't like the nipples. I have two nipple, one double wall metal, and a variety of dish/bowls full of water out at any given time. The dishes stay out (in the run), and fill with rain water or get filled. In the coop and covered run are the nipples and metal waterer. No question the dishes are favored, then the traditional metal waterer, and only if those are empty do they bother with the nipples. Trying to change that, as the nipples are so much cleaner, easier, and less wasteful. I think - hope - that eventually they will drink from whatever source, even if it means letting them get a bit thirsty during the transition.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom