how often do ducks lay egg?

They laid the eggs in the same nest spot, on the ground. I totally cleared the spot the day before. But as of yesterday, they have decided to go in the chicken coop any lay there. Still more eggs than ducks! I read they can lay up to two a day. I am thinking that because they were not getting the proper nutrition, that they were " holding" the eggs. They walked around like they were wearing "loaded" diapers...lol not walking like that now. I spoke to my father, and back in the day, my grand father raised broilers and about 1800 ducks at a time, ALL were RIR and Pekins for the meat market. He said highly possible they were holding eggs. I never heard it before. With the complete turn around they have done in the past two weeks...nothing would surprise me. Basic survival instinct.
That is interesting I have heard of duck laying more than one egg a day and it's always chalked up to working out the kinks but never heard of the "holding"the eggs, But proper nutrition and care sure helps to get them on the right track to a great happy egg laying life. Your doing a great job there.

This morning the KC were at the front of the line for whole corn, bread and green peas morning treat! Coming along nicely. Maybe I will eventually be able to hand feed them as well. Fingers crossed!

This morning the KC were at the front of the line for whole corn, bread and green peas morning treat! Coming along nicely. Maybe I will eventually be able to hand feed them as well. Fingers crossed!
Great news!! Even my most timid will come for treats and eat out of my hand, they just can't help themselves if it's something yummy lol

Just remember along with their treats they need a great wholesome diet formulated for poultry along with a good source of calcium.

Last edited:
How do I tell if my ducks are male or female? I'm getting one egg a day. 3 total ducks. 2 have higher voices, and one real low pitch. Haven't seen any form of mating activity. They're about 6 months old.

You made me chuckle lol thank you
1f602.png

Hello y'all. I have 2 Peking ducks, one male and one female. She started laying eggs a few weeks ago. My question is how do I know if she is laying just to lay or if she is laying to actually hatch them? She has laid 23 eggs as of today and seems to sit on them from time to time, but not full time. Is she going to actually finish laying and start to sit on them full time or should I just start getting rid of some eggs? I am new to this whole chicken/duck thing and could use some help. We got the ducks and chickens back in April. Thank you for your help.

I have 3 Pekin ducks and 2 are males and 1 female. My female just laid 2 eggs for the first time. I found them this morning. We live in Missouri and are starting to get the colder weather now. Will she keep laying eggs? If so how many? Or will she stop at a certain point in the year and start up again? Or is it just ongoing from now on? I am new to this!

Hello y'all. I have 2 Peking ducks, one male and one female. She started laying eggs a few weeks ago. My question is how do I know if she is laying just to lay or if she is laying to actually hatch them? She has laid 23 eggs as of today and seems to sit on them from time to time, but not full time. Is she going to actually finish laying and start to sit on them full time or should I just start getting rid of some eggs? I am new to this whole chicken/duck thing and could use some help. We got the ducks and chickens back in April. Thank you for your help.

I have sort of the same questions as well. I am new to the whole duck thing and mine just started laying too. I have only 2 so far but wasn’t sure if she will lay so many per day and how long she will continue to lay or if she stops at some point during the year?!?... if you find anything out please let me know as well. I would appreciate it greatly!

They will lay once every day or two at most. Unless you live in a warmer climate, even if they go broody, they are less likely to have a successful hatch this time of year. I would gather the eggs for now and let them keep the eggs they lay in the spring if you want ducklings. Or you can just collect all of them year round. In most areas, ducks quit laying by fall and start back up again in the spring.

Back
Top Bottom