How often do pullets lay?

K-12 Chickens

Songster
9 Years
Oct 6, 2010
Michigan
Do pullets lay once a day when they first start laying or do they lay an egg and wait a few days to lay another one? My Grey Leghorn(Snowbell) laid her first egg and then the next day laid another egg and so on. My Isa Brown(Velvet) did the same thing. Is this normal with most pullets?
idunno.gif

Last edited:
it depends on the breed. some lay a lot more than others. once a day would be your max and they would probably still skip a day once a week or so.

when pullets are just starting out laying, things can be a little erratic. eggs can vary a lot in size and frequency varies as well. they will get sorted out eventually though.

you're definitely lucky if your two just started laying and you're getting one nice sized egg a day from each of them.

Since my girls started laying, I get an egg a day from the Red Stars, and the two Dominiques are giving me eggs every 2nd or 3rd day. The 3rd Dominique has yet to lay at all, and the WC Polish? Well, if that one EVER lays an egg, we will all be astounded! LOL Seriously, they can and do skip days now and then. It depends on the breed, and the chicken. It won't take long till you can pretty much predict how many eggs you are likely to get on any given day.

That's pretty much my experience too. My red sex links started out at about an egg a day and increased size fairly rapidly where as my SS laid about one every other day and the eggs stayed small. Now that my black sex links are starting I expect more eggs at a faster rate. I guess what I'm saying is that it depends on breed.

My Ameracauna was, surprisingly, the first to lay at 16 weeks. She layed last Wednesday and it's now Tuesday. I'm hoping she will lay another soon...
hu.gif
And that the other 3 will get the hang of this laying business soon. I have a Barred, a Leghorn and an RIR and one 5 yr. old SLW. I hear Leghorns are supposed to be unbeatable layers, I was surprised she wasn't the first...

I have 6 hens of 5 different breeds, the 2 SLW are still not laying yet, my isa brown has given my one every day for the last 2 weeks (only started recording who laid when 2 weeks ago) and the others usually take at least 1 day sometimes 2 a week off.

I'm actually a bit concerned that she hasn't layed again....it's been a week.....is it normal for first timers to be this sporadic? When will start to be more consistent? Also my other 3 haven't started yet either...which is odd because usually it's the Ameracaunas that are the late bloomers. On the opposite end, I also have a 5 yr. old who layed 2 eggs in her fist week here but hasn't layed since and it's probably been at least 2 weeks. Any words of comfort?

I'm actually a bit concerned that she hasn't layed again....it's been a week.....is it normal for first timers to be this sporadic? When will start to be more consistent? Also my other 3 haven't started yet either...which is odd because usually it's the Ameracaunas that are the late bloomers. On the opposite end, I also have a 5 yr. old who layed 2 eggs in her fist week here but hasn't layed since and it's probably been at least 2 weeks. Any words of comfort?
Yes the can be quite sporadic. That is normal.

Back
Top Bottom